led number plate lights

mitch_h_88

Reaction score
alright there has anyone came across any LED number plate lights tht do not set of the on board computer saying there is a lamp out???

cheers :icon_thumright:

yeah doug p bought some i think ,but im pretty sure they were like £30 or something as they werent just bulbs they were light units .

^^^^ yep spot on, from germany, search for my led thread guide, afer much trial and error i found them the only ones not to set off the warning light.
think i paid £34 with P&P - depends on exchange rate

very dependant on the vehicle, a 2009 a4.I have all my interior/exterior as led, and they dont set off the warning light.Bought from ebay at about 2 squid a piece last year (none blown yet).Same bulbs in a b7 cab and an A3 2009 wouldnt work.Best buy a couple of normal leds before shelling out

Digging up an old thread I know, just wondered if these Dectane's come with screws as the heads of my current plate lights look close to death.

I think they overturn the screws in the plate light units in the factory...mine were missing when I picked up the car and dealer said very common - they just fall out after the units crack from over tightening

hi all..... iv got blue led lights instead of the standard white bulds to light up the number plate aswell my number plate buld comes up on the dash board.... is it werth upgradeing the fuse or down grading it in the fuse box so the light goes out ?...

nope no screws come with the units
i brought 4 new ones as i knew access was tight - i pretty much mashed the threads getting them out

I've bought some replacement screws as per an old thread on the A3 forum. Buy some M3x20mm A2 cap head screws.

Got to change my bulbs soon as they are starting to blacken. Fingers crossed the LEDs work.

I've just spotted this, and I 'think' B7 number plate lights are the same as the B6 ones - and there's a good thread running HERE.

The bulbs can be bought off ebay for £9 HERE. The screws corrode in (as anyone who's done this will know!) so you might need new len's, and if it's really bad a new surround too! It's all in that thread.

Thanks James, I'm pretty sure those bulbs you provided a link for do cause problems in some B7's. I read the thread before I bought mine, it was likely they would cause a bulb-out.

I'll let people know how I get on (fingers crossed).

Got my LEDs and new screws, the M3x20mm's don't work, too long and the thread on the ones I bought were too close together. However, put one LED in and took the picture below to show the light difference. Didn't put the other one in as that's the one with a dodgy screw:

IMG_5970.jpg

As I suspected, put the other bulb in and got the fabled bulb error. These ones were purchased from xenons_leds that also claimed to be error free.

Good news though, I managed to find suitable replacements for the Audi screws made of cheese. I purchased these: HPI Z567 TP. BINDER HEAD SCREW M3 x 10mm (10pcs) on eBay (end time 06-Nov-10 22:35:46 GMT)

Work beautifully.

Right, off to PM someone to see if I bother making these bulbs work or send 'em back.

try alibaba, they got them much cheaper, like 5 to 10 dollars USD.

Others have had problems with them as well.

I've tried some resistors but was very concerned over the amount of heat they generate so I'll just buy normal bulbs and forget about it.