Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Question High mileage A4 S-line SE

Just sold my 2004 A4 S line 1.8t 190, which I lost over 10K on. I bought at Ł17, sold for Ł6.5K. Had done 87,000 miles but was perfect with FASH, was a good colour - metallic black etc. I wont to replace with an A4 2.0T S line special edition but I was a bit disappointed at the depreciation on my last car so looking to spend less and lose less.

I've seen a an ex fleet 2008 A4 2.0T S line special edition but with 75k on clock, but relatively cheap. I'm assuming it's very clean from what I've been told and is just motorway miles but concerned on resale in a few years time. I work from home so only do around 10k a year so although wont have clocked up lunar miles by the time i sell again.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Cheers

Frank

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    thats cars for you mate just loose money how i look at it if you like it get it

6th Gear

Status
    Which ever way you look at it your going to lose money on the new motor, even if you keep the car for 4 years & put 40K on the clock that's going to be 105K on a 6 year old car, which is over average miles. How much you lose all depends on how much you get the car for?

6th Gear

Status
    You loose a lot more with petrol cars aswell. If you really want to keep resale values high, you need to be looking at a diesel. If you want to enjoy the car then get the Sline SE and don't worry so much about the money.
    8V S3 Sportback with options on order

VAG HUNTER

Status
    mate i bought my 55 tdi sline with 71k on the clock and paid 9.5k for it about a year ago as long as you look after the car it will run for well over 160k diesels are so reliable nowadays that at 70k on the clock i didnt think twice about buying mine
    A4 TDI S-LINE

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers for your thoughts. I'm still weighing it all up. I've also seen an older cheaper standard sline with lower miles but not what I really want...

Reverse Gear

Status

Question Options

Have looked into the 08 reg A4 2.0T S line special edition with 75K, apparently it's like new has had 4 services, cam belt etc. I'm seeing the same car at Audi dealer with 30k between Ł6,000 to Ł7,000 more, so seems a bargain. I've now seen an 07 reg with 29k selling privately for Ł1200 more so also considering it. Both are quattro and good colours though i prefer the 08 colour as it's avus silver which is the colour i want most and would choose if I was flush enough to buy new. The 08 car still has several months audi warranty. I understand the 08 car has virtually had no one even sit in the other seats it's entire life and has just clocked up the miles on motorways during it's short life. Though the 07 has quite a bit less miles which I'm giving real consideration to. It's a tricky one, both having good and bad points...

4th Gear

Status
    High miles as a general rule are going to be mostly motorway ones, which means very few gear changes, no clutch wear and the engine is always running up to temperature. I would pick the "high" mileage one everytime without a second thought. I bought mine with 80k on it and it's like new. A mate bought one with 30k on it and has had loads of problems. 75k is not a high mileage car, when I read the thread to start with I thought we were talking in the region of 140k ish miles!!!
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

1st Gear

Status
    I recently bought a A4 2.0t fsi s line on a 55 plate for 4850 it has 130k on the clock with full Audi history all the belts new turbo etc all replaced and looks and drives way better , i was on a tight budget and i commute by train to work, so this car is basically evenings and motorway crusing with, you lose on any car you buy but i think when buying you have to weight how/what you are using the car for ie work everyday. I think with the price i paid and the mileage i do per year 7-9k i reckon i will get the best value out of this car for what i paid other than buying one twice the price.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by auroan View Post
    You loose a lot more with petrol cars aswell. If you really want to keep resale values high, you need to be looking at a diesel. If you want to enjoy the car then get the Sline SE and don't worry so much about the money.
    +1 and a 170 TDI won't be that disimiliar to the 2.0T performance wise in real world driving, especially if you map it.

75k miles is nothing though. All depends how much you're buying it for and how long you plan to keep it. See if you can see some around the 100k / 110k mile mark to give you an idea of what the price difference may be in a few years when you come to sell. Have you looked at the DTM 2.0T's?

I sold my B6 TDI with 148k miles on the clock and it honestly drove like it have about 40k on it, it was mint. Again an ex fleet car, so most of it's life cruising in 6th and being serviced twice a year.
    For Sale
    B6 S Line Saloon rear bumper,B6 A4 Upper Grille,B6 1.9TDI catback exhaust,B6/B7 Full Piano black inlays,B6/B7 RNS E/GPS Sharkfin,B6/B7 Side airbags,B7 2.0TDI Intercooler and MAP sensor

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
    +1 and a 170 TDI won't be that disimiliar to the 2.0T performance wise in real world driving, especially if you map it.

75k miles is nothing though. All depends how much you're buying it for and how long you plan to keep it. See if you can see some around the 100k / 110k mile mark to give you an idea of what the price difference may be in a few years when you come to sell. Have you looked at the DTM 2.0T's?

I sold my B6 TDI with 148k miles on the clock and it honestly drove like it have about 40k on it, it was mint. Again an ex fleet car, so most of it's life cruising in 6th and being serviced twice a year.
    Thanks for reply. Yep, like the DTMs but I'm under order by the missus to get an estate as we have kids and the saloon has been a struggle on holidays etc. I also wanted something newer as my old car I just sold was 2004 and i think DTMs were only 05, maybe 06, though I would still look at them if it wasn't for needing an avant.

Basically I'm looking around Ł14,000 for the 08 reg with 75K and Ł15,000 for 07 reg with 29K. 08 is the exact one I want colour wise and has warranty and has been serviced 2K miles ago. 07 is decent colour still, no warranty, year older, but lower miles, also a bit more expensive.

I like the 08 most and seems a good buy when the exact car with 45K less is currently on sale for Ł20K, though I keep weighing up the lower mileage option...

4th Gear

Status
    Ah I see. Avant's are great! Be warned though, they are not massive, so depends how much luggage you want to get in the back.

If I was you I would honestly consider a 3.0TDI. More power, more torque, rarer and better residuals IMO. I was looking at B7 S4's and 3.0TDI's a while ago before I got a little carried away and went for a B5 RS. The 3.0TDI was definately the sensible choice though. Apparently the tiptronic box with paddle shift really suits the engine, but a manual would be cheaper.

I think the 2.0T and 2.0TDI's are the most popular and most 'normal' cars in the range as they fit the company car bill to most, which means there are more on the market at all times and you may need to consider this when you're coming to sell. They'll be less quattro's which will help you though. I'd also be looking for the highest spec possible, Nav, xenon's etc if you can.
    For Sale
    B6 S Line Saloon rear bumper,B6 A4 Upper Grille,B6 1.9TDI catback exhaust,B6/B7 Full Piano black inlays,B6/B7 RNS E/GPS Sharkfin,B6/B7 Side airbags,B7 2.0TDI Intercooler and MAP sensor

2nd Gear

Status
    My 2.0 TDi S-line Avant has just turned over 133k miles, and it pasted its MOT with flying colours, although I had a hefty service bill at Ł600, as I had the timimg belt and water pump replaced, also rear brakes and a damaged core plug to contend with. In the end my annual running costs are great. I have always had cars (up until now) with under 30k miles and usually sell them on well before reaching the 50k mark. When I first test drove my Avant it still felt tight and responsive, I could honestly say if the mileage read 30k I would be none the wiser. The big advantage to these Motorway miles cars is in the price, I'm not saying what I paid but I recon if I kept it another year I will still break even or loose up to Ł1k. Big difference when you consider I was loosing about Ł1k per month on my RS. I would recomend buying high mileage(high end rep mobiles) as long as the car has a good dealer history. Also if you can get details of the dealers where the services have taken place and give them a call to check its history.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for further advice and experiences, much appreciated.

I think the main thing is that the price for the 08 75k car is just a Ł1,000 less than an 07 one with nearly a third of the miles, and I think that considering the miles and difficulty in selling on later there should be a bigger difference in initial costs between the cars.

Reverse Gear

Status
    96K A4 Avant Quattro S-Line SE is what I bought 6 weeks ago FASH a couple of scuffs and 3 lightly kerbed wheels all this for Ł8000. Will retro fit Cruise at some time. Had the 2.0T coil pack problem recently but all replaced with the plugs for a Ł150 and I'm now looking at a long term relationship with my lovely A4