Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Air con fan under bonnet no longer spins

I had the cambelt changed last week. It might be coincidence but since then I've notice the aircon fan under the bonnet hasn't spun at all. I'm sure this has always previously spun with the aircon on. Strange thing is, the aircon still seems to be working, though with this weather it's tricky to check that the icy cold air is actually the aircon working or just freezing cold air from outside. But the windows demist (though maybe not so well as before) and I can hear the very slight gurgling sound of the compressor[?] which goes away when I press the econ button. Can anyone tell me if the aircon fan under the bonnet is meant to run all the time if the aircon is switched on, and whether a cambelt change could have interferred with this at all? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Ah - sorry Staz - should have read your FAQ section first:

"Please note that if the outside temperature falls below 4 degrees the air con will be automatically disabled. This is to stop a build up of ice on the evaporator."

is a retronaut

Status
    No need to apologise mate. It's probably worth you double checking when the weather gets warmer though. It's not unknown for mechanics to break something while repairing something else lol
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Neutral

Status
    What car do you have pal ?

Neutral

Status
    A3 2.0 FSi

Neutral

Status
    The reason i asked was because if say you had say an a4, then they might have dis-connected something on the system to do the belt, as you have to remove the full front to do the belt.
    Yes the slow speed fans should work when you engage the compressor to cool the gas into a liquid form, but the system will still work without the fans in operation, therefore i would go back to basic's and check all fuses, and if someone could vagcom it for you that would help.
    If you have a multi meter or power probe i could give you some tests to do !

Neutral

Status
    Thanks

The fan now spins, though intermittently. I'm sure it continuously spun (with aircon switched on) before the cambelt change, but I may be mistaken. Anyway, all seems to be working and air from the vents seems to be icy cool on the low setting. I'll keep an eye on it.