Aircon cuts off

maznaz

Reaction score
I have 1,8T and have problem with clima system. Usually it works fine, but in longer jornejs after nonstop driving ~1h or a bit longer, working in Auto mode it cuts off, it cuts off not only cold air but air at all. I switch to Econ for 5-10 minits and it goes back to normal. It seams somekind overheating security? Sallon air filter is changed frequently and it is ok, system is mainteined ones at year so all components have no wisible foults. I even tested it with VAG diagnostic system but it shows no problems. Of course I can not test it in foult moment. Also I found that system generates very much condensate, it seems more than it should be...
So probably someone are familliar with such problem?
I live and drive in Latvia so it is not the hottest spot

thanks

Not heard of this one to be honest. Does the condensation build up and up until it cuts off?

Regarding condensation build up... it is hard to say when driving 100mph :)
but first signs of system cut off are when winows buld up sweat very fast
probably condensate drain system is somehow limited when car is on move? maybe that is the reason of big wather puddle when car stand for a while?
:think:

It certainly sounds like the 2 are connected mate. You may well be right perhaps the system can't drain off.

This may be a bit of a difficult question to answer but bear with me.

When the system is not on auto the fans are manually set to a certain level. Pressing auto will allow the system to control the fan speed to get to the right temperature. Turning auto off again the fans will drop (or rise) back to the level they were at.

When you say that the fans die when the system cuts out do you mean they stop altogether or do they just drop back as they would if you had pressed the button?

thanks

usually I use auto mode, when system cuts off, it does not affect indicators in menu anyway, I can rise airflow or switch to another temp all works exept air :) it cuts off completely, helps only 2 things switch off system permamently or turn it to econ after 5-10 minits it goes to normal

Let me get this right the digital display doesn't change whatsoever? It still displays the same fan speed and temperature? But the fans do actually stop 100%?

Ah right, well I don't know then! lol

Sounds more like a technical fault than an air con fault. BUT it could well be CAUSED by the condensation.

Do you have an air recirculation button?

does the climate have its own diagnostic system accessed by a certain combo of buttons like the s4? recirculate and up on the fan control i think it was?

yes there is recirculation button.
I tested climate contorl system by dealer on diagnostic sys (it was not on moment when it was cutted out, becouse on short jorneys problem does not come out) and there was not any foult, everything worked perfectly

When you're driving at speeds and the fault happens are you in recirculation mode? Perhaps some fresh air from the outside is needed to prevent the condensation :think:

many thanks
usually I use Auto mode,
system was filed and checked at spring, will go to my local aircon spec. to check system