Do I need vagcom/diags to restart aircon?

myke

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My 2002 A3 1.9tdi quattro 130bhp NOT remapped to 197 .....yet ..lol
Anyway, I had the aircon re-gassed and it is still not blowing cold air, the econ light goes on and off as I press it, the aircon fan kicks in and out under the bonnet , I am having some diags done this afternoon. the garage said maybe something to do with the digital control pannel!! Does this show up on a diag / vagcom and does it sound right !
Does the aircon need a reset under vagcom / diags to restart if the gas pressure dropped too low? it was 530gramms and he has topped upto 750 today..
Any ideas ?
Myke
:greyrs4:

Sorry , its 'Climate control' not just aircon..;o)

erm I thought it should be around the 500 mark max anyway on B6 and B7 units ?

Edit: Ignore the about didn't notice it was an A3

Sorry , I am not sure whay b6 / b7 units are ..There is a sticker under the bonnet, that gives max fill weight for gas, I will read it before I drive off when I collect the car after work . Thanks

I called the garage , his diags can not fix or diagnose the problem ( I will ask tonight what the .. he said that he filled it to what the sticker under the bonnet says 750grams ?????.. At least the sun is blazzing now my a/c is broken ;o)

I can confirm gas weight 750g + 50 g is listed under the bonnet.

Gas recovered was 545g + 27cc of Oil which was done on a Kool Kare Blizzard, diags were snap-on and did not do Aircon for Audi... any sugestions??

If he picked up no fault codes and the system isn't cutting itself out then I'm a bit stumped.....

If you drop the temp to 'Lo' and the fans full blast does it get cool/cold at all??

When I drop the temp to Low it blows at full speed, but there is no cooling taking place.

I dont think his snap-on diags can get fault codes for the A/c in an Audi, I am thinking of getting the vagcom cable off ebay and reading the diags myself !
Will a £20 usb cable do the job?

No idea mate. Nah the Snap-on kit won't get the same stuff as VCDS. You're better off asking someone in the VCDS forum to help you out.

Thanks Staz,
Ordered the real macoy vagcom last night... will post the results when the software and lead arrive. I went for the 350$ version , in the mean time contacted "spud" who may be local enough to run a scan for me .

Nice one mate. If you plan to stay with VAG cars it's a worthwhile investment, especially when things go wrong but also to do those little changes!

Hi
Just got back from a carpark vcds....many thanks to Rich for running the diags..
No fault codes found ! now I wonder if its the fuse to the compressor ?? or worse still the compressor ! Anyway its insured with the AA so I have to pay nationwide auto centre to do diags on the aircon tomorrow £49!! better than Audi's £90+vat so they can tell the AA insurance whats wrong ... before I do pay £49 I wonder if its worth checking the relay and fuse for the clutch and compressor ??

I would have thought it would flag a fault though! Oh well that's why you have to do diagnostic the old fashioned way sometimes :icon_thumright:

Thanks Staz,
Its in Nationwide Autocentre as we speak ..
Their Diagnostics test "may not" show the fault...
Then it will be back in next week to take the compressor apart to investigate .. in the old fasioned way... why does hands wrapped in rags and dipped in resin and broken glass come to mind ........ oh yes kick boxer was on the other night !

For your FAQ
The bolt had come off the clutch and has been replaced .... £45 thats an expensive bolt !! but better then a £400 compressor !!

Nationwide auto centre in stratford-on-avon sorted it out !
Myke