Compressor only working when Recirc on.

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
My sister lives in France and has 2000 A6 2.5TDi.

She says that the aircon will only work when the recirc button is pressed. With the aircon running normally the ECON light is permanently on unless the recirc button is pressed. When the recirc is pressed then the compressor must be working as she says the air is cold.

I have advised her to check the pollen filter, but am not sure beyond that. Possibly a fault in the control unit.

Anyone have any ideas?

Weird!!

My first guess is that the flaps controllling the recirc are stuck in position. Not sure how the system works really.

VCDS would be my best bet for diagnosing this mate.

Yep, the new name for it as they couldn't trademark vag.com.

In mine when I press the recirc button you can hear the motors whirr and the flaps moving in the dash. I asked my sis to check this in heres her reply:

Initially when I pressed auto the econ light was on as well. When I turn the fan speed to 1 the auto light goes off. Then I pressed re circ and just heard the fan increase. I couldn't detect whirring or clicking.

Everything up to the recirc was right.

Press auto and ECON switches off. Change the fan speed and auto switches off.

I assume she tried this with the engine off yeah? She should certainly be able to hear the flaps moving. VCDS would be conclusive but I think that's the right lines to follow.

I told her to do it with only the ignition on yes, but will double check with her.

Thanks for your help with this :thumbsup:

Ok the engine was definitely off.

Do you know if checking the recirc flaps is a big job? (Assuming it is them). I guess they are buried deep inside the dashboard are they?