ECON LIGHT PERMANENTLY ON - WHY?

jr001

Reaction score
I picked up my 2005 A4 saloon yesterday and while driving home noticed that the ECON light stays permanently on even when you try to turn it off so that the air con can function. Set the temp to 'LO' and the air blows colder but not ICY cold.

Can anyone tell me what is causing the ECON light to remain on all the time. There may well be a reason for it?

Thanks,

JOHN

I felt a cold shudder when I read this post. I picked up my 53 A4 avant almost a year ago to the day. My 'econ' light was permanently on.

Took the car back to Lincoln Audi and they told me the climate unit needed a new clutch unit. Courtesy car for a day. Car came back and appeared okay.

May / June 2008, the freaky hot weather started. Climate set to low, heavily pregnant wife in passenger seat. Warm air coming from the vents. Back to Lincoln Audi. New compressor required. Courtesy car for 2 days.

Car returned, air colder but not 'icy'. Still not convinced. Back to Lincoln Audi. Climate needed regassing and system checking for leaks. None found.

Few days later I was out with even heavier pregnant wife and 3 year old. Needed fuel. Could not open fuel flap. Returned the car home and it wouldn't lock. The alarm also went off sporadically throughout the night. Apologies neighbours. Guess where I took it ? Was told there was water ingress into the control unit under the passenger seat. Caused by climate drain plug being blocked by 'debris'. Was told the repair was not covered on warranty. Big argument ensued. Resulted in Lincoln Audi having the car for a further 6 days, replaced entire control unit, removed all carpets and had them dry cleaned.

Car seemed better for a few weeks. Then returned to tepid.

Took the car to Doncaster Audi, explained situation, paid £90 for a full regas. (couldn't be done through warranty ?????) Job done. Fixed. Icy.

I was told that had I not had the work done through my warranty it would have cost over a grand for the parts alone.

John, if its on warranty take it back straight away. If its not, get a second job.

Hope this helps.

Marcus.

Hi, John when the econ light is on permantely this means there is a pressure fault in the system this could be caused by a leak in system and its lost its pressure or the high pressure sensor is faulty or the compressor is faulty unfortunately there is no easy way of telling a good main dealer should be able to diagnose the fault quickly
hope this helps

Hey, thanks guys for all the info. Lots of maybes as expected. The main thing is that Lexus Edinburgh have told me that it shouldn't have been sold to me like that and that the workshop should have picked it up. I'm booking it in as per their instructions to have it repaired.

Much appreciated, and I'll know to keep a close eye on it when it's been fixed.

Timely thread!

Looks like I will be booking in to Audi on Tuesday for mine.

This came about the other day when I noticed steam coming from the engine bay (I did think it was smoke at first). Anyway, it was raining so I thought that it might have been from a puddle; but yesterday I noticed that the AC would not switch on and it all makes sense now...

So, thanks to all.

My AC wouldn't function, ECON mode only, a stone had chipped the compressor casing and all my gas had escaped, new compressor fitted and all good.

This is apparently a common fault on A8/S8's.

My AC wouldn't function, ECON mode only, a stone had chipped the compressor casing and all my gas had escaped, new compressor fitted and all good.

This is apparently a common fault on A8/S8's.

I didn't consider that option, I was thinking that a hose had worked free. I will be sure to mention that possibilty to them. I will report back either way.

Thanks.

Keith, thanks for the reponse, I hadn't looked on this thread for while. :beerchug:

Quick update:

Car was picked up this morning and it has been confirmed that a pipe on the A/C system has split. So a part is on order and it will be a warranty repair.

I will be taking it in next week when the part arrives, so I will ask the service manager exactly what has happened, i.e. damage or perished.

jr001 - Any update on your car yet?