A/C is either cold or too hot

Reaction score
Evening. I've just bought a 51 plate A4 avant sport 3.0 V6 quattro and the A/C is playing silly buggrs. If I put it down to Low it blows cool but as soon as I put it up a notch to 18 degrees it blows warm and continues to blow warm, as if there aren't thermostats picking up the right temperature in the cabin or something. I have the same issue on both sides independently. It's really annoying me because if I need to defog the window i'm stuck on cold or roasting hot.
Any advice very much appreciated

cheers
nj

Ah ! What you doing here:hi:....I would wear less clothes in the car and have it roasting:racer:

Steve - thanks mate, knew I could rely on you for a sensible suggestion :laugh:

Leon - No worries mate. Do you know where the thermostats are in the cabin? I'm thinking low will always blow cold no matter what but 18 degrees or higher will continue to blow hot until the thermostats reach the right temp. maybe these are somehow reading low (or zero?), causing the problem?

or... t'is witchcraft and I need a bearded priest to exorcise the beastie!

It's a common problem on the B6. I've got the same issue, can only get cold on low, 18 and above always warm/hot no matter what. Our B5 CC works perfectly, never need to touch the temp, just leave it on 20 all the time.
We just live with it, set it on lo then turn down the fans to 1 or 2 bars.

ah nuts. thanks mate. good to know it's not just me being mental but with a toddler in the car I think I'll have to keep digging to try to get it fixed at some point.

Let me know if you do, would like to sort it out as well, but really can't be ***** as it kinda works

Leon - No worries mate. Do you know where the thermostats are in the cabin? I'm thinking low will always blow cold no matter what but 18 degrees or higher will continue to blow hot until the thermostats reach the right temp. maybe these are somehow reading low (or zero?), causing the problem?

or... t'is witchcraft and I need a bearded priest to exorcise the beastie!

I haven't been on for a few days sorry. I don't know where the sensor is mate. I think on mine it's near the windscreen.

Blowing hot constantly until the right temp is reached is a bit strange. But it all depends on the type of circuit. I really don't know enough about it to help, but please keep us posted, I've learned lots of useful things from this Air Con forum so far.

Hope it's a cheap fix.

i'll investigate and post my findings and maybe a few swearwords then mate. cheers

Have you hooked it up to a vag-com? It may give you soem fault codes and probably tell you if a sensor is duff.

It would also be possible to read the theremostat temp so you can see if thats the problem

i'll be giving my vagcom a test in the next couple of days. I always had issues getting it to connect to my s2 and coupes but hopefully it will be simpler with this car.

when you say it would be possible to read the thermostat temp do you mean this can be done through vagcom? If so there's a whole world I haven't seen with my vagcom shenanigans before

cheers for the input by the way
nj