Air Con Smell

Marc1

Reaction score
Hi, there noticed my aircon keeps smelling when I first put it on. Doesn't matter what temperature, it stinks either way.

Smell is quite musty at first, have also noticed a kind of cat wee smell.

Have thought it maybe the panel filter that needs changing, but I draw a blank after that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Someone recently posted something similar but I can't find it or remember what the outcome was.

It's not the air con internals of course. Is it only when not in ECON mode? It could be a dirty evaporator.

There is a bacterial spary produced by Worth that should help.
It is sprayed into the airbox via the water drain use a whole can per car.
Make sure you vent the car after as it is a strong solvent cleaner.

May I suggest that you could use Comma air con cleaner from ebay. I used it last year on mine, when it was getting a bit bad, and having done the panal first, it cleans it up a treat. It's anti-bacterial, so it should get rid of those smells :icon_thumright:

Thanks for your help guys. I'll carry out both suggestions. I've seen some K&N Panel filters for the B6 A4, is there really any point to them over the standard factory fit or is it a waste of money?

Thanks for your help guys. I'll carry out both suggestions. I've seen some K&N Panel filters for the B6 A4, is there really any point to them over the standard factory fit or is it a waste of money?

I think you're getting confused. When Andy says the panel filter he means the air system filter. I think you are refering to the engine air intake filter, it's a different thing.

yes i have that cat pee smell , thought it was cat being nasty and ******* in my car , found out aircon needed cleaning audi did for me cos i said it smells of **** lol

AIR CON SMELLS SUCH AS MUSTY/DAMP/CAT PEE. ARE CAUSED BY EVAPORATOR CATCHING ALL SORTS OF CRUD,THINK ABOUT IT! IF U SNEEZE -FART-EAT-AND ALL OTHER THINGS WE DO IN OUR CARS IT HAS TO BE SPREAD AROUND BY AIR SYSTEM,SOUNDS HORRIBLE -BUT THIER IS AN ANSWER--CHANGE CABIN FILTER PANEL AT LEAST YEARLY, AIR-CON EXPERTS CAN USE A CLEANING STSTEM(WYNNS) WHICH WE HAVE FOUND TO BE EXCELLENT.
WE ARE BASED IN ROCHESTER KENT FOR TUNING AND AIR-CON
OUR LAUNCH PLATFORM WILL RE-CODE PARTS TO AUDI/VW.
THE COMMA PRODUCT MENTIONED ON THIS SITE IS USEFULL BUT DROPLET SIZE IS TOO LARGE AND ENDS UP ALL OVER SEATS/INTERIOR.
THE PRODUCT WE USE IS TURNED INTO A GAS BY OUR APPLICATOR.
HOPE THIS HELPS
REGARDS
TUNEUS:redrs4:

AIR CON SMELLS SUCH AS MUSTY/DAMP/CAT PEE. ARE CAUSED BY EVAPORATOR CATCHING ALL SORTS OF CRUD,THINK ABOUT IT! IF U SNEEZE -FART-EAT-AND ALL OTHER THINGS WE DO IN OUR CARS IT HAS TO BE SPREAD AROUND BY AIR SYSTEM,SOUNDS HORRIBLE -BUT THIER IS AN ANSWER--CHANGE CABIN FILTER PANEL AT LEAST YEARLY, AIR-CON EXPERTS CAN USE A CLEANING STSTEM(WYNNS) WHICH WE HAVE FOUND TO BE EXCELLENT.
WE ARE BASED IN ROCHESTER KENT FOR TUNING AND AIR-CON
OUR LAUNCH PLATFORM WILL RE-CODE PARTS TO AUDI/VW.
THE COMMA PRODUCT MENTIONED ON THIS SITE IS USEFULL BUT DROPLET SIZE IS TOO LARGE AND ENDS UP ALL OVER SEATS/INTERIOR.
THE PRODUCT WE USE IS TURNED INTO A GAS BY OUR APPLICATOR.
HOPE THIS HELPS
REGARDS
TUNEUS:redrs4:

Air con smell has gone, washers stink now though, grrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

I just brought a 2005 A4 and noticed a cat wee smell. It turned out to be old water in the washer bottle. Ran it through with fresh water and a dash of disenfectant and that cured it !!! Refilled with screen wash, problem not returned.

Change the pollen filter as well. Did mine and smell much reduced. Now for some anti-bac spray to complete the job.

:)

hi guys, i know this is an old thread but where do i spray this anti-bac stuff? it says the air inlet but not sure where that is :/ lol

cheers

Hi gino. I like your links. I am browsing for a good products. And I think they are good. :D