audi air con compressor

dualmono21

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
can anyone who is clued up about air conditioning on cars please be able to help me with information

how fast does the average air con pump spin at ???
is it possible to drive one off a 12 volt motor instead of off the engine directly ??? a lot of the more modern french cars now use electric air con as standard

if so does the pump and compressor have to spin at a certain speed to move the fluid round to get the cooling effect ???

Hi I am a refrigeration & air con engineer is possible to run a compressor electrically however you would likely have retain the clutch as the high torque required to start the compressor would draw a high current on battery's

also minimum speed is not to critical as many commercial compressors are are inverter driven especially in air conditioning for capacity control and energy efficiency although the faster they run the higher the capacity .

belt driven automotive compressors use a modulating valve to regulate compressor capacity based on suction pressure.

a compressor compresses vapour from the suction to a high pressure gas known as discharge it is then cooled from a hot gas condensing it to a liquid for your expansion device of any type be it a valve or capillary .

hope this helps

Hi I am a refrigeration & air con engineer is possible to run a compressor electrically however you would likely have retain the clutch as the high torque required to start the compressor would draw a high current on battery's

also minimum speed is not to critical as many commercial compressors are are inverter driven especially in air conditioning for capacity control and energy efficiency although the faster they run the higher the capacity .

belt driven automotive compressors use a modulating valve to regulate compressor capacity based on suction pressure.

a compressor compresses vapour from the suction to a high pressure gas known as discharge it is then cooled from a hot gas condensing it to a liquid for your expansion device of any type be it a valve or capillary .

That said as electric cars run off higher voltages they must have developed a hermetic compressor for the electric market making the shaft seal redundant.

the reason i ask is i would like to convert my air con from shaft driven (s4 v8 )to electrically driven

so basically as long as i can find a motor which has enough torque to turn the compressor on the input shaft then i should get cold air con
the only other problem i have is its that tight a space down there i need to put the motor and shaft through a ninety degree gearbox

the reason i ask is i would like to convert my air con from shaft driven (s4 v8 )to electrically driven

so basically as long as i can find a motor which has enough torque to turn the compressor on the input shaft then i should get cold air con
the only other problem i have is its that tight a space down there i need to put the motor and shaft through a ninety degree gearbox

Why do you want to drive it electrically ? As any electrical load will increase the load on the alternator and In turn the load on your engine to turn it ,it's probably not much different

you will only loose a few bhp to run your a/c that I would think would go un noticed on your lump.