Dodgy blower

twist123

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hoping someone can please help with a diagnosis. Warm air only when air cons on.

2001 Audi A4 1.9 tdi 130

Noticed so far....

Pressing Econ button turns the red light on, press again and it turns it off
Smaller Aircon fan under bonnet not running
Fuses on drivers side are fine (cant find any other fuse box near the battery as per some models)
Aircon pipe (silver) is not getting cold
No drop in revs (my wifes Audis revs dont drop either but her aircon works)
No Vagcom or Snap on codes
Heater works

Thanks for all suggestions in advance.

Last edited:
Update: Had it gassed, no leaks but still no luck. So Im guessing compressor, fan or fan relay?

Anyone know where the fan relay is for this model?

There's some more fuses and relays to the left of the steering wheel on the bulkhead area, you have to drop the panel under the steering colunm down to access them. If you have VCDS you can see if the compressor is working in measuring blocks also you can activate the aircon fan.

Thats great, many thanks for the suggestions as these are things I havent tried yet. Can someone please tell me how to measure the blocks to check the compressor and aircon fan?

Many thanks to Bilko1 and Staz for taking the time to reply.

Go to HVAC and then measuring blocks, you will have 3 sets of blocks you can measure / look at, hit the up button and a set of readings will appear with what they are. Keep going up until you see the one you want. You can also tell if the air con compressor is working in ENGINE by finding the torque measuring block. Not sure where the aircon fan actuation is without looking, if you get stuck give me a shout and i'll fire up my VCDS. You can do alot of the stuff with Snap on scanners to but depends on model i use a Modis and that does pretty much everything that VCDS does but costs 20x more.

Last edited:
Thanks will have a look tonight, in the meantime, I cant find the drop down panel under the steering panel? Is it near the ODB, as that whole under section looks like one big plastic unit (no flap, place to unscrew etc)? Thanks

Thanks will have a look tonight, in the meantime, I cant find the drop down panel under the steering panel? Is it near the ODB, as that whole under section looks like one big plastic unit (no flap, place to unscrew etc)? Thanks
The whole lot has to come off, there's a few screws underneath
and 1 or 2 behind the fuse cover and if memory serves me theres one tucked away by the centre console side, once the bottom is loose you pull the top of the panel straight towards you as it's clipped in the top.

You sir are a legend. Im off to check it out.

After checking, the green and red fuse look fine, all relays look good except for 53, one of the prongs is a bit scorched. Hoping this is the problem!

Any idea what relay 53 is?

Last edited:
Guess G65 pressure switch is next. Ran VCDS HVAC auto, nothing, havent tried measuring blocks, would there be a difference?