EM TuningMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    redmanphil's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    45

    A3 8P - Fans like a jet engine

    Hi all,

    Doesn't matter what temperature or fan speed I set on my climate. The fans under teh bonnet go mad. Soon as I switch the ECON button on, within 2 secs is slows down and stops, turn the ECON off and the jets re-power up.

    ANy ideas what this could mean? Cheers

    2003 A3 8P 2.0 FSi
    2003 Audi A3 2.0 FSI Sport - Black
    2003 SEAT Leon Cupra R - Platinum Grey
    2000 VW Golf GTI Mk4 Turbo - Dragon Green
    1998 VW Golf SE Mk4 - Black

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Hmm not sure at the moment. It definitely needs looking at with VCDS though mate.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  4. #3
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,609
    Theres a thread on here somewhere with a few people having this problem (myself included).

    Through VCDS I get this fault:

    18354 - Control Module 1 for Coolant Fan: Defective
    P1946 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent


    As soon as I find out how, I'll get round to replacing mine, see if that fixes the problem.

    Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro


  5. #4
    Digzz's Avatar
    "Started From The Bottom"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by jb0o View Post
    Theres a thread on here somewhere with a few people having this problem (myself included).

    Through VCDS I get this fault:

    18354 - Control Module 1 for Coolant Fan: Defective
    P1946 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent


    As soon as I find out how, I'll get round to replacing mine, see if that fixes the problem.
    My fans don't run at all even with the air con on and this same fault code comes up......Did you manage to solve your problem?

  6. #5
    colicabcadam
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    My fans don't run at all even with the air con on and this same fault code comes up......Did you manage to solve your problem?
    fuses on top of the battery..... you may find that if you let your car stand, it will boiler over

  7. #6
    colicabcadam
    Guest
    did you fix it dizz? the fuses may look ok inside, but what you may find is the one that controls the fan module gets hot enough to melt the plastic around it thus covering the actual contact area in a very thin layer of plastic a bit of enry cloth does the trick here along with a new fuse, AA guy that checked the car over when it overheated said they were ok, after a fan control module and numerous sensors, i worked out it was the fuse!

    mate had the same problem on his golf, but for his abs pump (light kept coming on), 3 pumps later and numerous amounts of cash later..... i poped round and because of my experience, solved his problem with 2 minutes work!

  8. #7
    Digzz's Avatar
    "Started From The Bottom"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by colicabcadam View Post
    did you fix it dizz? the fuses may look ok inside, but what you may find is the one that controls the fan module gets hot enough to melt the plastic around it thus covering the actual contact area in a very thin layer of plastic a bit of enry cloth does the trick here along with a new fuse, AA guy that checked the car over when it overheated said they were ok, after a fan control module and numerous sensors, i worked out it was the fuse!

    mate had the same problem on his golf, but for his abs pump (light kept coming on), 3 pumps later and numerous amounts of cash later..... i poped round and because of my experience, solved his problem with 2 minutes work!
    Yes I found out it was a fuse in the fuse box......But I also had a previous problem with the fans not stopping when the engine was off. So I had to replace the fans ...which was £240 .....

  9. #8
    audicruiser's Avatar
    Audi Heaven

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    Yes I found out it was a fuse in the fuse box......But I also had a previous problem with the fans not stopping when the engine was off. So I had to replace the fans ...which was £240 .....
    Common fault on VAG cars, we has the fans go on a 2003 Mk4 Golf and 2005 A3 Sportback....
    Scott

    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2
    Hi,

    I need your help, need to now the number of the fuse that you change for problem with the fan module. I have the same problem turn on the ac the fun enter in high speed, turn the econ mode the fan stop.

    Thanks,

    Best regards,
    Rui

  11. #10
    Digzz's Avatar
    "Started From The Bottom"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by bonorad View Post
    Hi,

    I need your help, need to now the number of the fuse that you change for problem with the fan module. I have the same problem turn on the ac the fun enter in high speed, turn the econ mode the fan stop.

    Thanks,

    Best regards,
    Rui
    Take out the F8 fuse to temporarily turn it off.

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks I will try tomorow. best regards.

  13. #12
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,609
    Mines had this fault for over a year... haven't even checked the fuse, haha.

    Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO