A8 4.0 TDI Purchase

claytow

Reaction score
Website
www.blukuk.com
Hi Guys,

HAve a 2000 S6 4.2 V8 at the moment and looking to sell it and change it. Have been thinking about getting a 4.0 TDI as I like the bigger car and the bigger engine.. Can you guys shed some "Real World" light on this car for me? reading about them they are torquey as hell and actually seem to give pretty good performance and mpg.
Just wondered on anything really bad, or is it mostly good.. am looking around the 03/04 plate mark as cant really afford anything newer.

Any help or comments appreciated

Thanks

I believe that the 4.0TDi is not the best for economy, later 4.2 is better.

I have test driven a few and the engine always felt grumbly and not as smooth as the 3.0 which I have now.

I had a 3.0TDi A6 before which was Superchipped and it certainly was not lacking in power, probably getting the A8 done next month.

Think the 3.0 & 4.2 run piezzo injectors whereas the older design 4.0 doesn't.

It is more rumbly than the 3 litre , possibly too noisy for a luxury car, and more thirsty, but I can get 33mpg on a run. The road tax in 2010 will be another £150 a year as its in band "M" rather than "K".
It is torquey low down, but the weight blunts even the 4.0's performance when extended. It is nose heavy and has to be controlled with very firm hand down a twisty road, but it is excellent on open sweeping bends.
The Servotronic steering is surpising heavy above parking speed - much heavier than my D2 3.7Q.
I think the 3.0TDi is just as good as the 4.0 in many ways and for 95% of everyday situations. I happened to find a 4.0 in a colour I fancied, and somewhat reduced because it's not silver or black, for a little more money than a 3.0.
The 4.0's are certainly good value at the moment.
Interior space is really no better than a modern A6.
I suggest that you try and buy with a dealer or other good warranty as repairs are very expensive indeed. - I had an oil leak from the bell-housing that cost over £2k to fix under warranty. I was looked after most excellently by Cliff and the others at Hatfield Audi.

John Bentall

The Beemer is a bike!

What I like about the A8 is the effortless wafting along the motorway/A roads. Sometimes I will have had a hard days work in Glastonbury and have a 3 hour drive back to North London at 5 o'clock on a dark winter evening.
I need a car that says to me "OK , let's make this as relaxed and easy as possible, there's no rush. Why don't you put on some music or talking book"
For the same money I could have bought a nice Impreza Turbo, RS4 or whatever that would kick the A8 into the dust. It would probably have driven me crazy.
P.S. The A8L would not have fitted into the garage!

Something I have just noticed looking at other A8 4.0 TDIs on autotrader. The middle armrest on my one os joined, 2 as 1. But I see on allot they are 2 seperate arm rests, was this an option? any most of the others have leather on the seats in a horizontally stitched pattern and my ones are vertical and closely stitched... it doesnt have climate control in the rear of the car either. .were these things all options? It hasnt got TV either but not too worried about that.. Good news for me is that its just been serviced, its had 4 new 19" Pirelli Tyres and has just had 4 new discs and pads all round.. that saves me an expense for a while..

I think the de-luxe split armrest is part of the comfort seat option, which may also account for the stitching pattern. Rear air-con controls were part of the 4-zone climate control option. The analogue TV is crap.
Where have you bought from?

From a place called Roy Humphrey Prestige http://www.royhumphreyprestigecars.co.uk/21947/roy.htm

Bit of a bonus really as its only 24 miles away from me.. all the other cars that were any good were well over 100 miles away..

Guess I have a fairly basic one.. but im not one for too many gizmos and the like, ive driven it and I love it.. thats good enough for me.