V8 questions

alistairolsen

Reaction score
I couldnt find a section pertaining to the pre A8 Audi V8. Does the A8 share the same engine albeit with a different capacity?

Was this engine based on two vag 1.8 20v engines? If it was, are the heads mounted opposit ways round to put the exhausts on the outside, or were mirror image heads cast for the second bank?

Does it share a bellhousing pattern (and hence box fitment) with the older audi 5 pots?

At what point in their lifespan did these engines change to an alloy block (I believe they did?)

Any major known weakpoints on the V8?

Whats the going rate for a second hand unit complete with loom and ecu?

Cheers

i'm not sure if it uses 1.8 20v heads, but if its like the v6 the heads will be mounted the opposite way so they can be used either side

i'm fairly sure they use the bolt pattern for the box as 5 pots

at some point they changed from 5v to 4v and got 20bhp on the s8 not sure when

i'm fairly certain of that info maybe someone can confirm it or add to it...

The V8 started life as 2 1.8l 16V golf gti engines mated on a common crank. It first came out in about 1988 and finished its life before the first of the 5v engines came out

ok, so accepting that they have the 1.8 16v heads, one assumes that the 1.8 turbo manfolds and turbos may fit? Or was the turbo only the 20v 1.8?

Any gen on the alloy block engines, what they were fitted to, and what they weight?

As far as I know there wasn't a turbo fitted to any 4 cylinder petrol VAG model at the time, so yes only the 20V 1.8 was turbo. There was a supercharged version of the 4 cylinder in the corrado and golf however but I think they were 2litre versions

maybe you could look at diesel manifolds, however if you do find something that bolts on the turbo position will be right above the engine mounts where you will likely have no space in a UR? i would suggest custom manifolds would be useful. sounds like a big expensive project how about supercharging that monster? i'd defo want to do some bottom end work just to make sure your machine can take to abuse especially after all that work to fit it, best of luck to you unless its all hypothetical :winks:

and reading your question again the a8's had 5v then 4v, pre-a8 were 4v, i think the 1.8t 5v came around 1995/6 , the 5v v8 probably around the same time or a year later...

the supercharged g60 editions of the engine were 1.8l.

if its a couple of KR 16V engines lumped together, you may get some help by trying to source a couple of turbo-technics 1.8 16V turbo conversion kits. I'd doubt the manifolds would fit, but you may be able to use the compression lowering gaskets and other parts successfully.