A8 4.0 Diesel V8

Mutley

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
While my beastie was at the dealership for a four wheel alignment session I had a 3.7 new type A8 on loan - very nice it is too. Old timers on this forum will know I test drove a 4.2 around Millbrook about a year ago. I got talking to the A8 sales guy on return and thought I was going soft - I think I said 'the engine doesn't matter in the new A8 - its such a superb cruiser...'. Anyway, once I'd returned to my senses he asked if I'd fancy a spin in the new diesel V8...

Ok, ok, I thought it would be interesting...and noisy...and agricultural..etc. So - took it out on the A5, onto the entry ramp, and foot down at 2000RPM... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif !!!!!!!!!!

This thing was awesome - it would have left the S8 for dust!! I'll clarify here - the S8 would have needed 4000RPM to produce that kind of rush - but of course by 40000RPM in the diesel, its all over. Mid range though, which is 1500-3500RPM, that diesel V8 is producing something like 475ftlb of torque - thats Aston Martin Vantage territory...
...and the noise??? - it sounds like a tuned petrol V8 - I kid not
...and economy - an indicated 37MPG at 90 (units witheld /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )
Awesome is an over used word IMO, but awesome this engine is...
My prediction is that Audi will one day produce an 'S' variant diesel...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Wow - sounds nice. Would you swap for one ?

I'll see if I can get a go when mine finally needs a service....

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well feck me... I just got an A6 2.4 FWD loaner... And I miss my car soooo much! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway, if you loved that, check this out! B&B's improved A8 4.0 Diesel: about 246 kW / 335 h.p. at 4.000 r.p.m. engine torque about 760 nm at r.p.m. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

BTW, just learned that a new S8 is unlikely, however there are two A8 W12's coming, a SWB and a LWB. That should be interesting as well me thinks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I'll wait a while. Diesel R&D budgets are already overtaking petrol engined ones due to the demand for 'tax bracket' machines for company car drivers. Only a couple of years ago diesels sounded like tractors, and now we have a V8 which sounds and pulls like a Corvette... Mass market cars will soon have V6 twin turbo diesels so the likes of Audi will have to 'up their game' again. Wonder what the next 24 months will bring?
Just had a 70 mile drive to a client this morning in the beastie in driving rain - it still has a beautiful engine / chassis combination. Even a shiny M25 surface couldn't affect the sure-footedness.
I think I'll wait a while
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sven, I couldn't navigate that link - I'll try again later though - am at a client site so their proxy may be stopping me. I've also heard there is likely to be no new S8 - my hopes of a NA V10 monster are therefore fading... If I keep this car for another 2 years I think my next will be a diesel though - a V8 twin turbo one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Cheers Sven - that looks brutal!
Hey - look on the bright side...If the loan car is slower (i.e. not an RS4/6 or S4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ) then getting back in the S8 is like getting out of a Sopwith Camel into an F16 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I almost bought a 3.0 TDi A8 but opted for a 4.2 V8 Petrol with LPG conversion :D