Few problems with my Audi S8

BaldNut

Reaction score
Website
www.4size.co.uk
Hi peeps,

new to this forum, ive read most posts in this section and im confident you guys can give me the answers im looking for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well here is the storey so far.

Bought a 1998 R plate S8 around July of this year, absoloutly adore the car, everything that i wanted, but before i got home i realised the Air con wasnt working, and their was a major noise coming from passenger side wishbone, i phoned the garage and they said aircon just needed gassing and if i got wishbone looked at they would sort it.

Took it to get the aircon gassed up at a place called Malcolm Gascoigne, got it back icy cold but i could hear a hissing noise coming from dashboard and when it had parked on my block paving for a couple of nights realised it had an oil leak, i booked it in to be looked over at Lookers Thornaby (stockton on tees) and they gave it back with the following result:

Aircon hissing noise: Normal
Creaking wishbone: Couldnt Hear
Oil Leak: head gasket £971+Vat

So i gulped at oil leak price and asked about creaking noise they said they couldnt hear it, so i asked to speak to the guy who had looked at the car, i asked him "how can you say you couldnt hear the creaking from wishbone" he said "couldnt hear a thing" i said "how far you drive it" reply "i didnt i was rocking it".

I made him come in car with me and listen, around first corner and he could hear it and confirmed it was lower wishbone.

They booked it in for lower wishbone and oil leak.

3 hours into job they phone me to say after talking first head off they realise second head was leaking and it was gonna add another £600 on to the job, i authorised it, and picked up the car the next morning at a cost of £1900.00

Then i later that night on my way home from work on the A19 i hit 130mph and the car was all over the road, and i mean all over, i slowed down and then tried again and once you reach 120mph the car gets really soft and bouncy, i went back to the garage and told them they said it is nothing to do with what they had done, and where unable to test the car at that speed as it would be breaking the law.

I then phoned a couple of garages and asked about the wishbones, they said there are several for the A8/S8 depending on the chasis number, i then re-phoned lookers to be told it is the correct one, yet i find it hard to believe they had one for my vehicle on the shelf. before the new wishbone i could hit 150mph and the car handled great.

the aircon continued to go empty and to this day has been refilled twice and tested and ive been told its not leaking but for some strange reason it is empty again after 2 weeks.

So this post is asking the question, how can i find out if i have the right wishbone and what do i do about the aircon?

Anyone know any good audi garages in the north of england that would sort my problems?

Next post is about my new wheels/handling problems (sorry post is so long)

car2.jpg

The problem with my wheels,

Well i took the 18" wheels off and put on some 19" wheels, and i never thought about the technical stuff and as a result the car now handles like **** /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

my old tyres where:

Pirelli PZero Direzionale 245/45 ZR18 96Y

my new tyres are Falken FK451 GRB 245/40 ZR19

now the car is terrible since these went on, is it just bad tyres or could the wheel offset be a contribuiting factor as a frend suggested?

car3.jpg

thanks for any help btw

Just to let you know that i had my lower ones changed because of a creaking noise, and have had the track control arms changed, but just had a word with my mechanic on your behlf and he said if the arm was wrong he would expect it to be wobbley at all speeds.

You can leave the badge on and ill give you a race if you like, especially if you bottle out at 150, the speedo goes round further than that you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

done just over 160 in it once but im floating on 6 points already and known my luck id prob get jail!

(dont know if you can but if you get caught at 140 - 160 its not just gonna be points i doubt)

Yeah I convinced myself that id only do it once, then it was twice, etc, etc.

As it happens ive raced the same person twice at those sort of speeds, hes a complete stranger it was just a coincidence.

I'll find out about your wheels for you if you let me know what offset the BK racing wheels are.

I assume that the speed wobble you have is only since the wishbone was changed not the wheels?

yes m8, the wobble on the front is only (i think) down to the wishbone, its more the fact i los it on a roundabout, wish put shits up me, i thought that i was like invincible when driving my baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif legs went to jelly doing around 75 on a large roundabout, but done it loads of time, weather was dry and it took me four spins before i got it straight, bad experience m8 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

baldnut,

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences, I too have the same delimmea, good dealers in the north are as rare as hens teeth! Someone once said that Newcastle Audi were good, but he drives a Saab..

Well heres the Kicker for you Buddie...

Once you've tampered with the wishbones, i.e replaced them, REMEMBER to retrack the vehicle as these cars tend to be tempramental once new parts are fitted, remember it is afterall the best... a Quattro, therefore the geometry will need resetting, other things that will highlight the problem is the larger wheels, larger than factory, this allows the car to pickup the slightest bump and tramline if the steering is not correct. Put the Originals back on temporaryily and reset the steering, tracking, Castor and Camber and all will return to normal, then put on your larger wheels.

As to the aircon, make sure it's the garage that's paying for all the refills, afterall it's not right that it should loose it's charge in two weeks, I've known 10 year old cars to still operate on original gas!

Good Luck!

Regards
Dave M

Sorry to hear that Baldnut...

I think 28v6 has pretty much covered it. Just remember the Quattro has to be aligned at ALL four wheels, not just the front wheels!

The airco is certainly NOT ‘normal’. My S8 doesn’t ‘hiss’, nor has any car I owned. You may hear a very moderate sound after you shut the engine off, if you’re standing next to the engine, but in an S8 you should not hear a distinctive hiss whilst sitting inside your car. As you say it’s coming from the dash, this is not okay IMO.
Gas leakage is definitely not normal, the only thing you may notice is some condense water dripping when it’s hot outside. The gas should not be refilled for several years, if ever.

I hope you’ll find a good garage, this one doesn’t sound too trustworthy. (I hear good things about Lea Valley Audi, but that's not exactly near you...)

Since you don’t mention it I presume you have no warranty? However, if you bought it from a garage you might be able to get them to fix this, since you just bought it. You may expect a good car, especially in this price range. I’m not familiar with UK law, but I’d say give it a try and see if you can get some legal aid.

Best of luck, and good for you you’re still happy with the car! I’m sure it will give you loads of pleasure once it’s sorted, and it looks great!

thanks all for the responses, im going to put my old wheels back on this weekend and try them out, and then look at retrack them, it certainly not put me off the car, infact i cant believe how much i love it! i had 2 Range Rovers one a P reg (1997) and then traded it in December 2002 for a brand new Range Rover Vogue Deisel (£53,000) after 6 months i realised it was too expensive and got rid, i then in the space of 1 month had 3 cars that i didnt like (in total i lost £25k in 8 months on cars) and when i got the S8 i knew it was the car for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One other small problem, every few weeks ive noticed a kick in the gears maybe ive been told the car is changing down a gear as i floor it to go fast and result is an almighty boom and the car jerks does this sound like it could be right.

Hmm, that doesn't sound good I'm afraid. Does this happen in automatic, or whilst using Tiptronic?
Neither way should it do that mind you. These cars are known to shift very smooth. Shifting down using Tiptronic or kick-down may give a very short delay; as if it’s ‘thinking’ whether a gear change is the way to go. After that it blasts forward with unbelievable force… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘almighty boom’, but if this is anything else as I described above it’s not normal. Maybe you could describe exactly what happens, when it happens and what you hear.

First check for a leaky (back) seal on the transmission, it is known leaks occur on the rear gearbox seal. This may produce an oil smell, since its leaking on the kat/exhaust. Also check the transmission oil level.

An transmission oil change is also a good thing to do (not cheap though) at this age, even if Audi says it’s not necessary.

This could be down to electronics as well, so you may want to do a diagnosis check at Audi, and see if anything comes out. I just hope it’s not a mechanical defect in the gearbox, because in that case it may not be a ‘small problem’… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Best of luck!

Hi M8,

On one occasion i turned a corner and floored it i was hitting towards maybe 60 when i seen a couple of people stepping out accross the road about 100 metres away, i didnt brake i just took foot off throttle and let the car slow off till i could see they would be past when i was to reach them then floored it again, i got a judder through the car and an engine noise maybe could be described as if it was a loos engine mounting? had one like that on a fiesta many years ago, but noise would be like a dull thud.

I dont want to put it into lookers stockton cause they aint got a clue on this level car in my opinion, i dont mind maybe up to 100 mile away for the right garage.

Hmm... it *could* have something to do with that wobble you reported maybe. IF they didn't mount it correct that could explain the judder, and the Quattro / ESP may be trying to divert the power to the other wheels... Just a guess, I'd have to feel and hear it to be sure.

Otherwise it may be any of the things I mentioned before, or indeed a bad engine / trans mount. I'd say get the wobble thing sorted first, by putting your original wheels back and aligning it, then take it from there and see if that helps. You'll need to do that anyway, so no loss there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can't really help you with the garage topic, as I'm in NL. I just heard good stories about Lea Valley Audi from some mates. I will ask though, and maybe someone who lives in your area would care to comment on that. I do know there are specific dealers who are certified to work on an S8. So not just any Audi dealer is qualified!

cheers Sven, i will update you after i change my wheels this weekend, thanks for your advice, much appreciated by the way where is the garage you mention located?

also you have any pics of your S8?

I have asked around and heard Preston Audi seems to be okay as well and give good service.

Preston Audi

Riversway Motor Park
Nelson Way
Preston
Lancashire
PR2 2JZ

Mr Stuart Thompson

tel: 01772 730000
fax: 01772 795716

Lea Valley Audi

Cork Tree Way
Hall Lane
Chingford
London
E4 8JA

tel: 020 8529 7077
fax: 020 8529 9487

See here for a search thingy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hi m8,

Preston one would be fine, could always stop over in blackpool and see my m8 chubby brown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (used to do some personal training for him 8 years ago, and believe it or not he still trains several times per week! doesnt do the diet thing though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

thanks for your help m8 i will call them after the weekend, and let you know the progress.

[ QUOTE ]
BaldNut said:
also you have any pics of your S8?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just put a few in my gallery so you can see. For some strange reason the small ones look horrible, the large format looks okay though, so click the pics to see the largest format please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sorry to be dumb, but how i find your gallery?

btw your car looks mint! love the colour what is colour called?

what year is it on it looks immaculate

Hmm... I like to keep it a bit understated, so I guess this is my favorite from that site.

My S8 is black pearl, '01. To see the gallery click my profile and see 'users pics' below on the profile. (or click here) To see all galleries check under 'resources' in the menu above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No, the Ronin plate is a photoshop addition I made. Unfortunately we don't have personalised plates here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

See www.mariani.de for more info on their products. It's in German thoug, but just give a shout f you need help translating something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The A8 page is here !

lol like translating any of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

one question how they get twin exhaust pipe each side with fuel tank?

and is their any prices on the site for the grill?

many thanks

They offer oval end pieces with dual pipes for the exhaust, you can choose between 1 side or both. 83mm or 102mm. With 'sound tuning' they say.

I've seen it on an S8/A8, so it's possible.

There are no prices, but if y'r interested drop them a mail, they'll probably understand English. If any major language problems occur and y'r serious about ordering I could try a mail in German if you want. (My German is not THAT great in writing though, so try English first) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, for translating more text you may try http://www.freetranslation.com/ Not perfect, but close enough...

Ive got the 20" Audi rims on my A8. They cost me about £1400 including tyres from German Ebay, they had only ever been used in a showroom. I did go and collect them, made for a great road trip though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There a picture of mine and Mutley here

excellent value what u paid for them m8! **** the tyres would cost that!

looks well i might look around once i get rid of these ones, i saw some on the links above with 305's on the back how awesome would that be lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

There are also some 19" A8 wheels for sale here in marketplace. Have you seen those?

Matthew and Mutleys' do look great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif That would be the way I'd go if I would get bigger wheels. Some of the ones on the links above are a bit over the top imho (esp. the chrome ones who remind me of the inside of a tumble dryer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), but that's personal of course.

@ Matthew: what's your honest opinion on the ride quality of the 20" compared to the 18" Avus S8 wheels? I know they look great, but I'm afraid I'll regret it afterwards if I would buy them... Suppose the risk of kerbing them is bigger too eh?

Also I still like the Avus looks, and with the Dunlop SP9000 245/45ZR-18 96Y the handling & ride is very satisfying. Furthermore the wheels and exhaust tip are the only 'givaways' on the outside, and I think it's funny to hear some comments of passers by who recognize it as an S8. This way the connoisseurs know what it is and the 'badge readers' will remain wondering. I kinda like that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So it'd be purely a cosmetic thing for me I guess. I'm just wondering if it'd be worth it for me. IF I would, it'd be exactly those wheels I suppose.

BTW: What about some pics in the gallery men? Seems my S8 is the only one up there now, and she's getting lonely... So load up some photos of your pride and joy, will ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Sven,

It is difficult for me to compare really, mine is an A8 sport, which I think has the same suspension aa the S8 but cannot be 100% sure.

My car cme with the 18" Sport rims but they were changed within 24 hours, I bought the rims before I bought the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

However the ride on my car is not an issue to me at all, by that I mean it is firm but certainly not hard or intrusive, I would suggest it isnt half as bad as you fear.

Cheers Matthew! I also believe that this suspension is the same or similar. Anyway the difference in ride quality shouldn't be THAT different I suppose.

I guess I'll have to see if I can try one with 20" and feel the difference. No hurry though, since the tyres are brand new on mine... I might consider some spacers though, not too extravagant, but just to put the wheels a bit more out. Any of you got an opinion on that?

BTW, Baldnut, if you go looking for rims be sure to check the correct measurements (see a conversion table). Otherwise you may confuse the computer and get some weird effects, and the speedo etc. will be off! I say this because it appears to me there is a bigger gap as usual with your 19", or am I mistaken?

I've got some more info on the dealer issue. I'll just quote the guy who offered the information:

[ QUOTE ]
Removed at Sven's request

[/ QUOTE ]

ive phoned R & P Woods just waiting for Paul to phone me back, thanks for the info, also gonna phone Addison Audi ill post the progress here

Today Paul phoned me back and he certainly knew his stuff and i must compliment him for his honesty advised me to go to an audi garage for 4 wheel allignment as he could on do two wheel allignment, he was willing to look at the other probs but Addison Audi had also returned my call and i eventually got booked in for Wednesday 12th November, they are gonna look at Wheel Allignment, Air Con, Gear Box and run Full Diagnosticks on it so fingers crossed it should be sorted soon!

Also out of interest, my friend is going to be changing the brake discs & callipers on my car, so i phoned Audi for a price for parts only they gave me:

Discs £85 each + Vat
Pads £165 + Vat set of Eight (4 each Calliper)

Total £335 + Vat

I then phoned around

Advanced Motors Hartlepool,

Mintex Brakes & Discs:

Disks £36 Each
Pads £54 set of 8

Total £126 + Vat

£209 SAVING !!!

By the way Sven you spend as much time at your pc as me, when you drive your car lol!