Newbie question what is the difference between A8 & S8?

scooby_si

Reaction score
just all the 4.2's i keep seeing on autotrader & ebay i digress i cant see anything obviously different between the ones described as S8 & the ones called A8?
What am i missing?
Ta
Si

The S generally will have more toys that might have been options on the 8's. The suspensions different and they had 40/60 more BHP than the 4.2Ltr 8's. The gearing is lower so they sprint better too... If you wanna buy one, checkout Paul Waterloo's www.audipages.com this site is too slow for A/S8's

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

nope cant recall ever registering on there, nearly always registered as scooby_si from car choice a few years ago........................
Si

Well, nice to have met you! It Scooby_Simon over there...I thought it odd you not asking this ATF change question on there as there's way more 8 traffic on there! Prolly a lot of Scooby too (Scooby Scooby too...Where are yooo?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

how about RX7's Hilux surfs & mondeos & anyone wana buy any of those off me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol
Si

Hi, just wanted to add a bit of information on the Audi S8...I have an S8 and previously had an A8L.

Both cars are 100% aluminum engine and chasis. The main difference is in the engine. The standard A8 4.2L is 300-310hp, the S8 is 360hp (in Europe other engines were available in the A8 but in the States we only had the 4.2L V8 or the 6.0L W12). It doesn't sound like much but it's a much quicker and more aggressive car. The S8 engine, while still being a 4.2L has some different components, such as a more aggressive cam and a slightly higher compression. The S8 has larger 4-piston Brembo brakes (not sure if Brembo is standard) that are really superior.

Another big difference is that the S8 is only available in the standard body, not the L (long)...I believe there's about a 4-6 inch difference in the two bodies. The S8 has a considerably stiffer suspension and is lower with larger rubber. As with all S models, the side mirrors on the S8 are chrome. The interior of the S8 has deeper leather bucket seats...the most comfortable of any car I have ever owned. The S8 has Alcantara leather trim (suede-like and extremely expensive as an option on other cars), plus various other minor interior gadgets that are not on the A8. The car is also about 100 lbs (45 kilo) lighter.

Production numbers are a big difference as well. In 2003 Audi produced roughly 21,000 A8's worldwide. These number are a bit inconsistant but from what i've gathered, only 1200 S8's were produced worldwide over its entire 3 year run.

Hope that this helps, sorry if too much information!