D3 Door lights.

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Went out for a drive last night and while admiring the amount of lights, LEDs and buttons in the cockpit I noticed that there's a thin illumination strip on the doors.

3 out of the 4 are working but not the rear passenger door.

First off, what are they called?
I've been searching different words that I think are correct but I can't find anything on this.

Second, how do I remove the door card to fix this?

Is there a decorative trim panel over the top of it? On the A6 anyway the trim piece pops off and allows you access to the LED strip and the part number.

If you need me to look up instructions on Elsa let me know.

There is the wood trim but it looks like the strip part of the door under the trim. so no access from by removing the trim.

I'll have a better look during the daylight.
Also noticed one of my LED exterior door handle lights don't work.

To remove the door trim you have to use a trim tool. start from the door hinge end and pry it off. Both the wood and ali trim come off in 1 strip. When you get to the other end do not pull as that end is hooked into the door and needs to be slid out.
there are a few bolts to undo. 1 of them is hidden in a hole that you can see if you look carefully at the top of the door pocket that folds out. You have to do this whilst the pocket is shut. Then use the trim tool to ease and pull away the door card around the edges. Quite a bit of force may be needed and you probably may as well get a few spare clips which you may need if you are going to be investigating these areas.