AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

AUDI A8 2004 3.0 TDI Injector Failure advice needed

Hi everyone I am new to the forum.
    I bought a 2004 Audi A8 from a private seller on the 14th of November car seemed perfect. It looked a very good buy with a full service history and a low mileage of 70k.
    Its my first Audi and I am really happy with it. I did do some research into possible issues to be had with this car but nothing I found seemed to warn of possible injector failure.
    Just over 1 week ago I noticed thick white smoke from the exhaust after start up. I kept the car idling and smoke continued steadily . I revved and loads of smoke piled out.

I drove away concerned and the smoke disappeared after less than 3 minutes. The car appeared to be normal.

I booked it into a local independent garage. They checked the oil and discovered it was much too full so they drained it. They also plugged It into the computer and it came up with only 1 small error on the control head.

After a few days of feeling hopeful the smoke reappeared (See Video below) This time less thick but still white and smelt like oil/diesel.

Cardiff Audi had a look at it on their diagnostics and found 3 injectors had faults and suggested replacing all 6.
    To replace all 6 injectors is going to cost £2987 - OUCH
    Has anyone had a similar issue on this forum or had any success with Audi contributing to the extortionate repair cost?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a8starr View Post
    Hi everyone I am new to the forum.
    I bought a 2004 Audi A8 from a private seller on the 14th of November car seemed perfect. It looked a very good buy with a full service history and a low mileage of 70k.
    Its my first Audi and I am really happy with it. I did do some research into possible issues to be had with this car but nothing I found seemed to warn of possible injector failure.
    Just over 1 week ago I noticed thick white smoke from the exhaust after start up. I kept the car idling and smoke continued steadily . I revved and loads of smoke piled out.

I drove away concerned and the smoke disappeared after less than 3 minutes. The car appeared to be normal.

I booked it into a local independent garage. They checked the oil and discovered it was much too full so they drained it. They also plugged It into the computer and it came up with only 1 small error on the control head.

After a few days of feeling hopeful the smoke reappeared (See Video below) This time less thick but still white and smelt like oil/diesel.

Cardiff Audi had a look at it on their diagnostics and found 3 injectors had faults and suggested replacing all 6.
    To replace all 6 injectors is going to cost £2987 - OUCH
    Has anyone had a similar issue on this forum or had any success with Audi contributing to the extortionate repair cost?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.
    I had same issue. I contacted Audi dealer and they paid almost half of cost. Saved a bit but wish I had held out for more. It is a known fault with the 2004 valves.

Tiptronic

Status
    I'm not sure if the A8 has the same engine as the B7 A4 3.0tdi, but if it does there are no 'known' problems with the injectors.

As a comparison the 2.0tdi 140 engine (B7 A4) has an injector recall out as they fail regularly. People have been able to get audi to cover the cost of the replacement if still under warranty but others have not been so lucky. It would be worth a try to ask Audi if they will do anything, but given that the car is 8 years old and there probably isn't a known fault with the injectors, I wouldn't hold your breath unfortunately.

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)