Aftermarket Head Unit upgrade into Audi A8 Bose

BigJ

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

My 1996 A8's 6-disc CD changer in the boot has started playing up over the last few months, so I thought rather than try to find a rare "8-pin round connector type" replacement changer on Ebay for £100+, I'd upgrade the head unit to a new black one (with red illumination obviously!) that could play MP3s (wouldn't need a changer then, to get lots of music for long journeys!) I've ordered a Panasonic CQC 7301 for £150 which should be here today/tomorrow.

I've also ordered some Audi head unit removal keys, an RCA line-out to Bose adapter, an aerial adapter new ISO to old connector type and finally a pair of Audi A8 facia adapters/spacer thingies!

After reading a few of the threads on here though about popping noises with the Bose amps/speakers and poor FM reception without the OEM head unit amplifying the radio signal etc, I'm beginning to wonder what I've let myself in for! I don't really want the expense of upgrading everything, especially as I was pretty happy with the quality of the original Bose system before the changer packed up (although the GALA speed sensitive volume never quite seemed to do anything – shame, seemed like a good idea!)

Anyone know if I need any other adapters etc to connect to the Perm 12v, Ignition 12v, Illumination, Ground (0v) etc from Audi harness to the newer ISO connector on the back of modern head units?

Also, has anyone ever bough a stand-alone Aerial booster to improve FM reception? Does such a thing even exist?

Many thanks in advance for any help that people can be with this?

Cheers,

BigJ.

UPDATE:- I've fitted my new Headunit using a "SpeakerOut-to-Lineout" Adapter that drops the voltage down for the Bose Amp/Speaker system. This seems to work very well with none of the potential "popping" noises that the "RCA LineOut-to-Bose lineIn" Adapter appeared to make.
(http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ind...67&cadid=544dfe3fefbc10f0d9fdaba8eb348814)

My FM reception is very poor still though (on the new head unit and the old OEM Audi Delta unit)!?
I have noticed that it seems to be OK with the engine off, but with the engine running I appear to have quite a bit of interference/low signal strength (even with my new automatic antenna!)???

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Cheers guys,
BigJ.

Does the interference change with engine speed?