Unsuspecting sports car drivers

Matthewbaldry

Reaction score
Website
www.baldrys.co.uk
A post that we can all add to over time I'm sure.

What other cars have you beaten or almost beaten in the traffic light grand prix?

So far:
Porsche 911- 993 style model - he was giving it all he'd got and just and I mean just beat me.
BMW M3- E36 Model- absolutely dead level, he stopped afterwards to ask me about the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Remember that i'm a fair few bhp down on you guys.

hehe - good stories.

It would appear the majority of road users aren't aware of these cars and what they can do. I had some bloke right up my backside (in a driving sense!) last night in some renault laguna type thing, and i was behind someone and there was no overtake. The guy in front turns off, and i gave the throttle a quick squirt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

byeeeee

cheers

Paul

A soul mate here! I love that quality in a car! They never see you coming until you're gone... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The majority thinks "oh, a big car" only you - and a few connoisseurs - know what it is and what it can do. That’s so great!

Even on my test drive I startled two guys in a rather conspicuous dressed up BMW, and I wasn't even racing them (they were racing me though), just gave it a squirt to check out the car.... Whoosh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

In the rear view mirror I think I saw them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Greetz,

Sven

I found this somewhere on the www and thought you might get a buzz of it, I did! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Raced Audi S8, and...

This aspen silver kind of looking audi S8 and my 98 740il (stock) were stopped at the traffic lights side by side near the Chinatown in Boston. A very young guy was driving the S8 and his windows were all open. We both looked at each other and I complimented his car. He nodded his head w/ a simple word, "Yeah, man", and he had a look on his face that he could kick my butt in any second. Well, I knew he didn't even consider me as his competitor, but I didn't like his attitude, so I put my gear into sports mode (but kept DSC on) and slightly pressed accelarator. Once the light turned green, we both floored our cars, and boy, my 7 didn't start too bad. After 1/10 mile, the road soon led us to Mass Pike entrance, and it merged into one lane. His car (who was abt half car length ahead of me) cut me right off from left hand side) and as soon as we were on the highway, my persistent chase began. It was 8 in the morning on Sunday, and there was hardly any car on the highway. Up to 70-75 miles, I was right behind his tail and I felt pretty good that I may have a decent chance to catch up w/ him. Nevertheless, when I reached 80 miles and moved onto the other lane to pass him, I heard a powerful exhaust tone from his car, and oh, well..., it just flew... We were three car length apart from each other and the distance wouldn't narrow, but departed even further. Then, I just gave up!! Well..., his car disappeared from my sight within couple seconds, and I slowed down. I could picture him smiling wide open, and belittle my car.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what the S8 all about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Subbaru Imprezza are my favourite victim, get you off the mark but after 1/4 mile they history /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The new type M3 - after all, its quattro weather /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif - full bore to 90 and the ESP didn't even blink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ... Think it may have been a different result in the dry though ...

...Just need that life-size mutley in the passenger seat which does the 'mutley laugh' on demand... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

That woud be cool... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Mutley.gif

Last night I did a sport bike... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I’m standing behind him at the traffic lights waiting to go left onto the motorway, and I’m thinking hell, let’s give it a try… He pulls up, and I’m close behind him, I’m sure I even could have taken him in the S curve with the Quattro, but I decided to let him think he could beat me on the straight road. (No fun if he decided to close the throttle pretending not to race, now is there?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So he gives it all coming out of the curve, and I (with GF beside me) do the same. I managed to keep the same distance, so imagine his surprise not being able to lose this big Audi sedan behind him…
Finally at something like 2*cough*40 I overtake him, while the GF gives him a friendly wave… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sure was fun.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I gave an Evo 8 driver a fright about two days into my S8 ownership (before diagnosing my car had a cracked cylinder head, so who knows what would have happened if I'd had my full compliment of 360 horses ...)

Picture the scene, it's early evening in leafy Berkshire in mid September, I'm on my way home from the office and decide to go cross-country (the M4 was stuffed !). I ended up following the Evo 8 for a couple of miles (both of us stuck behind a much slower car) until there was a bit if a gap. The Evo went for it and I followed. So there we were, tooling along around 80 mph along this road until we reach a roundabout. At this point, he goes for it big time and I thought it would be rude not to ! He got a couple of car lengths ahead of me out of the roundabout, but after that, I pretty much kept pace with him up until he backed off at 110 for a junction coming up. Unfortunately, he turned right and I went left, so that was the end of that, but it was fun whilst it lasted ! Not bad, I thought, for a car that weighs the best part of half a ton more than the tin can Evo ! I'm sure he was expecting to disappear into the distance !!

Yeah, EVO's make nice targets... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif After all, all they're about is speed, what else is there? Whilst the S8 has sooo much more AND great performance... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sven S8 said:
Last night I did a sport bike... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hey guys! Did y'all read this months Evo magazine? Check out the age old question of who's faster "Bikes or Cars"

I say it's down to the pilots actually, but the road is not the place to go really racing with a car driver, especially one you dont know. The 2 modes obviouly have differing advantages. It's a fool that continues to race a stranger in a 1.5 ton lump iron behind him. I'd only ever race from behind the car. You stand a reasonable chance of getting killed as it is without being pushed into an obvious potential hazard that you'd normally slow down for! Go check out the mag. It's about as fair as I have seen so far.

Good luck (keep smoking'em)

GC

Hmm, we don't have that mag here... Any chance of a link or a scan maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW, I wasn't behind him but in another lane, as this was a wide stretch of highway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (and it's aluminium, not iron) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Sven

Gimme a couple of days and I'll see if I can sort summit regarding the article! But what does an S8 weigh? You may be right of course, but a 600cc sports bike will hit 0-60mph in around 3sec!! I think 1000cc sports bike go 0-100mph in around 6secs... If you can keep the front wheel anywhere near the ground that is. I once slaughtered some moush in a 911 Turbo off the lights on a 600cc bike. The 911 driver turned out to be none-other-than Nigel Benn.

I have been looking for an old Ur-Quattro over the last couple of months. In my frustration I started looking at old 911's as I could find the Quattro. I got fed up with that too and decided for the first time in my life I'd be smart and pay the money off the mortgage. This lead to cashing in a few investments that arent doing much and all of a sudden I can half my mortgage! Yesturday went into a Audi Centre (Official Franchise) to to get some p/steering fluid. What do they have on the forcourt? An S8 with 8,000 miles for £35K. Life can be sssssssso cruel!