Greetings :) I finally bought one !

Medders

Reaction score
Hello to all - Thought I could finally put up my first post now after buying my Audi (not got it just yet though)

I needed a family car and my Subaru Impreza P1 didn't quite meet with requirements.

Been looking at A8's for a year, but drove a 51 plate S8 on Saturday and fell in love /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bought it on Sunday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Superb build quality, plenty of space AND it goes like stink.

I am a happy man

Oh and I've just seen Ronin, so I'm cool and happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheers

Paul

They're pretty rare up here.

Really lovely. Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ronin is on BBC1 tonight I think...

Hi MarkR - I just bought the DVD as well. Everyone told me what a great film it is. And its on telly two days later. Ahh well, at least I get to watch the chase again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi Medders,

Superb choice! You now have an aluminium space-framed, Torsen 4WD, V8 40 Valve, Tiptronic beastie. Nothing comes close! Other V8's in this class may have more bottom end torque but none of them are as sweet once you get to the eliseum zone (3500RPM)

The 'Audi wheel issue' you may be worried about does not apply to the S8 - this used to be a problem with the RS4.

The original RS4 18" wheels were made of a soft alloy compound (deliberately according to Audi AG) which would deform should the tyre wall be compressed fully. Unfortunately this happened frequently with our badly maintained British roads.

Audi UK were brought to issue through the superb efforts of the owners of www.rs4.org (now offline) and as a result, all owners were provided with free replacement wheels for the life of the car. Another option was available whereby harder compound wheels could be provided but this was a one-off, and if you bent these you were on your own.

The S8 comes with either the 'Avus' style 18" or 'RSTT' style 20" wheels. If you have the nine-spoke 'RSTT' style (as I have) then these are 20". If you definately have 19's then Audi may have put the new A8 wheels on yours. I would pull them up on this since the 20's are wider and UK models have the superb Michelin Pilot Sport tyre. This has a stiffer sidewall than the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso and several other makes and offers much better protection to your inner rim.

At the end of the day, any car with an ultra low profile tyre / wheel combination is prone to wheel-bending with extreme use, but the S8 ones will withstand small potholes and general road crap. I still avoid potholes as I'm sure we all do - I am mentally scarred from my RS4 days!

Things to check on your S8:

Lift the drivers-side under mat and check it is dry - there is a drain tube connection for the aircon condensate which can come undone. This submerges the multi plug for the second lambda probes - the ECU then gets kind of confused

Check the speed warning and cruise control - the two are linked and can sometimes play up

If you have any creaks or clicks from the dashboard check whether the windscreen has been replaced - if the wrong glue has been used it will cause stress and noise.

The boot light is illuminated when a mercury tilt switch makes a circuit. The mercury switch can get a heart attack and either stay open or closed circuit. One way drains your battery . . .

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I shouldn't really say this but the truth is forum's have very little actual influence on the manufacturer, but if it keeps 'em all happy it's ok to let them think it, RS owners tend to be especially in need of pandering so the manufacturer as to account for this.

Now to the S8.....
I drove one a few years ago and since I have driven modified RS4's and RS6's but I'd still rather own a standard S8, it's a lifetime ahead of the proceeding but a well kept secret, some things are best that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hi Arson,

I agree - manufacturers do not take much notice - but they did once the owners of RS4.org got the Vehicle Inspectorate involved. The forum played an important part in the early days when dealers were telling drivers that 'no one else has bent a wheel - therefore you must pay for a new one . . .' In this respect, the forum had a part to play if only to confirm that we were not alone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif