Sky InsuranceBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

2005 A8 Flat Battery - Help

My mum has an A8 that she doesn't use much. It has ended up with the battery going completely flat. Her key stuck in the ignition, but I managed to get it out with the little button thing. I have tried to jump start it with my powerpack attached to the battery but I am having no luck at all - not sure whether it is too flat or what. I have a small battery charger but it is no good for the 3l V6.
    Before she joins the AA and gets homestart, any suggestions as to how to get it going?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    You can jump start it (or charge it for a while) from another car using jump leads, but the -ve lead must be connected to the buzz bar above the battery, not the -ve terminal on he battery. I usually start the donor car and them connected for a few minutes to get a 'surface charge in your battery. Then turn off the donor car and try starting yours. It is much safer for the electronics that way.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the advice - I went over with my leads and did as you suggested and its sorted. Surprised the battery pack didn't have that much power, but there you go...

Reverse Gear

Status
    realize this thread now a bit old but A8s have very complicated electronics around the battery don't use the car to jump another or be jumped..........if you fit a new battery usually a 100 amphr Varta a tech with a laptop needs to update the system with the new battery details otherwise things don't work good and always best to charge a car battery with leads dis-connected and use an intelligent charger that adjusts the amps to suit the battery state of discharge....in general modern cars left for lengthy times, the battery will discharge as even a locked car has many things going on that drain the battery ....security......clock etc etc