A8 Engine starts, runs for 2 seconds then stops

tallmat

Reaction score
Would be very grateful if anyone can help with an engine problem. 1996 A8 4.2.

A few months ago, the engine would occasionally stop immediately after being started. It fires, runs for a second and then dies.

It's now doing it more and more frequently, and becoming a real hazard.

It seems to occur more often when the motor is warm/hot. The car does have an alarm and we had the immobiliser checked and it was found to be working OK.

Any ideas where I should look?
Thanks for any suggestions

Good man, whereabouts are you?????
who you registered as on TSN???

Am in London. Like the wheels you have on yours, the car looks in great condition.

As was mine until two days ago the wife parked in local retail park, front spoiler wedged onto a high kerb. And so removed said spoiler, together with h/light wash covers and small grills, as she backed out.

Few scratches but one lost washer cover, and a very annoyed me. There's a lesson here somewhere....

[ QUOTE ]
Tallmat said:
You're a top man - many thanks. Have already found the answer on the site - factory fitted immobiliser most likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the ignition barrel sensor. Will be back, baby hollering! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tallmat said:
....... There's a lesson here somewhere....

[/ QUOTE ]

There is........ DON'T LET HER DRIVE IT!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It is the ignition barrel sensor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that the immob light is on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Yes -- the light is flashing quite regulalrly. Sometimes it starts to do so while the car is running, so I guess that removes any doubt as to what is the problem.