A6 Texts

electroblade104

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm sure someone on the forum can help, I have an A6 Bitdi built week 16 this year. Great car and all work well except I can not seem to receive text messages. Th e phone i have is a Sony Z1 compact and links to the car fine I also have a data sim in the dash. On the MMI I can see the text menu but its greyed out so I cannot access it. Any ideas how I can get it working.

Hi All,

I'm sure someone on the forum can help, I have an A6 Bitdi built week 16 this year. Great car and all work well except I can not seem to receive text messages. Th e phone i have is a Sony Z1 compact and links to the car fine I also have a data sim in the dash. On the MMI I can see the text menu but its greyed out so I cannot access it. Any ideas how I can get it working.
Couple of quick thoughts. You have 2 SIMs one in the phone and one in the car. the one is the car is presumably data only so does not allow SMS messaging, your Sony Z1 does not support rSAP protocol (did a quick google and that seemed to be the result) so therefore is only connected to the car via bluetooth in handsfree mode and therefore is not using the more advanced telephone features and thus no SMS to the car . I think the only option open to you is to change the phone or enable SMS messaging on the in-dash SIM but that would be a different number than the one your contacts currently have

Couple of quick thoughts. You have 2 SIMs one in the phone and one in the car. the one is the car is presumably data only so does not allow SMS messaging, your Sony Z1 does not support rSAP protocol (did a quick google and that seemed to be the result) so therefore is only connected to the car via bluetooth in handsfree mode and therefore is not using the more advanced telephone features and thus no SMS to the car . I think the only option open to you is to change the phone or enable SMS messaging on the in-dash SIM but that would be a different number than the one your contacts currently have

Thanks for that. It seems to be my only option to change my phone for one with rSAP. Pehaps I'll wait for a while and see, I get the phone calls so I can probably manage with out the texts although it would be nice.
Thanks once again for the answer.

From somebody who does have an RSAP capable phone (Galaxy S4) and no dashboard SIM: having the texts work is a mixed blessing, especially if you only drive intermittently like I do as the car will "eat" your text messages... so they never appear on your phone.

I've got into the car after not having driven for two weeks to notice a text that had arrived, presumably just as I was getting out the previous time... RSAP as a whole is worth it, especially for an infrequent driver like me as it gives me life traffic data, etc without an extra subscription.