AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

DAB Radio retrofitting

Hi just wondered if anyone out there has explored the possibility of retro fitting DAB radio to their A6. I know the current A6s are now fitted with DAB as standard however my A6 is a MY2012 model just has the FM/AM/LW wavelengths, ideally would like to incorporate it within the present unit if that's possible, listen to Radio 5 Live & TalkSport a lot it would be great to hear it with clarity!! Anyone with any advice would help

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Yes it's quite straight forward on the C7 chassis, do you have MMI with SD card nav or MMI touch HDD navigation?

I have fitted DAB to dozen or more new A6's, Q3's A4/5's

Neutral

Status
    Audi do a retrofir themselves, but it is an extra dash mounted box without MMI control. S8Craig, do you fit the original MMI controlled unit?
    2012 A6 2.0Tdi S-line Brilliant Black

Neutral

Status
    Thanks guys for your responses, Craig I have the standard MMI with SD card, a ballpark price to fit would be good, do you have to fit additional aerials etc or can it be incorporated into the existing set up?

6th Gear

Status
    OK, so the basic RMC navigation, the DAB radio in that model is built into the Navigation unit, so it's not possible to fit genuine Audi as it requires a whole new navigation unit at a couple of grand at least.

But the DAB radio system can be fitted and fully integrated into the MMI and utilise the existing antennas in the glass.

It will show up as a MEDIA device in the MMI as DAB Radio, each MUX is a CD and the radio channels are tracks

So it would show BBC National as a MUX, select that and in there would be all the channels broadcast on the BBC national MUX, similar to how the normal DAB is displayed in the RADIO section

Ball park figure is £550 installed, just need to know Saloon or Avant to get the right antenna booster.

1st Gear

Status
    This is a good question since it should have been standard. I have the MMI touch HDD - is it possible to have original Audi DAB installed?

BahnStormer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by woollyjoe View Post
    This is a good question since it should have been standard. I have the MMI touch HDD - is it possible to have original Audi DAB installed?
    s8craig - I've got the same question as Joe - I was looking at A7 S-line's (DAB standard) before I decided I needed the extra boot space and went for a high-specc'd A6 S-line Avant, so I was massively dissappointed to find that a near-£50k Audi didn't have the DAB systems that £15k Fords have... and even more galling, standard on all the VW Passat Alltracks (as is the active suspension!).

I've also got the MMI touch (SDS high, touchpad, onboard media hdd, etc) and interested in retro-fitting DAB.
    Last edited by BahnStormer77; 4th November 2013 at 22:55.
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

BahnStormer

Status
    Still keen to know about this.

I think Audi are just rubbing it in our faces: mid-spec'd Seat Leons now get DAB as standard - they have to, to keep up with Ford/Vauxhaul, but Audi make you retrofit it...

A bit like a 2nd hand Q5 my dad was looking at: nearly £40k for a 2nd hand car that didn't even have a satnav!!!
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BahnStormer77 View Post
    Still keen to know about this.

I think Audi are just rubbing it in our faces: mid-spec'd Seat Leons now get DAB as standard - they have to, to keep up with Ford/Vauxhaul, but Audi make you retrofit it...

A bit like a 2nd hand Q5 my dad was looking at: nearly £40k for a 2nd hand car that didn't even have a satnav!!!
    Since last May (i.e. all MY14 cars) Audi has fitted DAB as standard pretty much across the range and certainly for the A6 so if you buy new then there is no need for a retrofit I agree it is a shame that Audi did not include DAB as standard sooner (my MY13 car does not have it yet my wife's Golf bought a couple of months earlier does!) but anyone buying the car at the time knew it was not standard and made the choice, can't really blame Audi for a previous customer not selecting a certain option that you wanted them to select
    2012 A6 Avant 2.0TDi SE
    1970 Lotus Elan +2S

BahnStormer

Status
    I had to buy mine "2nd hand" from Audi (with 250 miles on the clock) as they had stopped selling the 3.0 TFSI engine in the A6 when I got mine in Feb 2013, so it means that they never sold a petrol A6 (C7) with DAB as standard - I emphasise "C7" as it was standard on the C6 S-Lines....

I have checked and I can still get it retro-fitted by Audi, but it's beyond a joke that a £53k+ car (with a fairly extensive options list already) needs to have another £800 upgrade to get DAB when it's free with cars that cost a quarter of that.... including most of the other "budget" models from VAG.
    LostBok/BahnStormer77