GPS - How Accurate & Recent.

Pierre/Peter

Reaction score

Hi/

I have owned 3 Q5s, & am now waiting on my first A6.(With Google maps/phone high).

Still don’t have a build week L

Can any existing A6 owner tell me:-

The on-board GPS on the Q5 was not as good as an (old)stand-alone Tom-tom,

apart from the larger screen, & motorway intersectiongraphics.

In particular traveling South from Paris to Bergerac itwould always predict the ETA to be 25 minutes later than reality! – This wasover the 3 Q5s I owned, & was 100% repeatable.

How is the GPS on the new A6s?

Also how up-to-date is the map when the car is new? – They were quite old on the Q5s.

Does the GPS give you the vehicle speed? – The Q5 speed overreads by c.5% compared to a GPS derived speed when vehicle is on cruisecontrol.

And finally;

Am I correct to assume that there is no compatibility withthe European Satnav system - Galileo?

Oh well what did I expect for 23bn€? (The price of Galileo,NOT my car).

Hi/

I have owned 3 Q5s, & am now waiting on my first A6.(With Google maps/phone high).

Still don’t have a build week L

Can any existing A6 owner tell me:-

The on-board GPS on the Q5 was not as good as an (old)stand-alone Tom-tom,

apart from the larger screen, & motorway intersectiongraphics.

In particular traveling South from Paris to Bergerac itwould always predict the ETA to be 25 minutes later than reality! – This wasover the 3 Q5s I owned, & was 100% repeatable.

How is the GPS on the new A6s?

Also how up-to-date is the map when the car is new? – They were quite old on the Q5s.

Does the GPS give you the vehicle speed? – The Q5 speed overreads by c.5% compared to a GPS derived speed when vehicle is on cruisecontrol.

And finally;

Am I correct to assume that there is no compatibility withthe European Satnav system - Galileo?

Oh well what did I expect for 23bn€? (The price of Galileo,NOT my car).

I only have the SD card based navigation rather than the HDD based version so there may be some differences but I am finding the one in my C7 to be much better than the DVD based version in my previous C6, The initial ETA seems to be fairly accurate and that may be because Audi are now using TeleAtlas for the mapping data rather that NavTeq and the ETA can only be calculated based on the speed limit data for the roads on the route so it may be that TeleAtlas is more accurate/complete. Also I have noticed that the system does not take a ridiculous route from the motorway to my house which the old one as well as both a TomTom and Garmin device tend to because a small section of road is incorrectly classified on the NavTeq database. One nice feature on the C7 system is that on most roads it displays the speed limit of the road on the main screen (I do not have the Speed Limit Display option).

The data that came with car (delivered June 2012) is for 2011 and seems to be pretty accurate with all the new roads I have encountered being included. I read an interview recently with the new Head of Technology at VW and apparently starting with the new Golf (just launched) the "Infotainment" software and mapping data will be updated free every 6 months for the first 3 years of ownership and that the new system will be deployed across all the VAG brands as the user interface can be changed to suit the brand (eg touchscreen on VW, MMI on Audi)

I fear you may be right that the system is not compatible with Galileo, but that is probably true of all satnav systems currently being sold.

Hello Elan2s, Thank you so much for your complete answer. - It is excellent news that Audi has switched to tele-atlas - This is owned by Tom-tom & in my opinion much better! I like the sound of free updates too! My reference to Galileo was more about the waste of taxpayers money than any desire to use it!

Don't think we will get the free update service until either a facelift of the C7 or more likely the C8.