Headlight question

Tank.

Reaction score
Have been to view a car (05 plate) and I'm a little puzzled after looking at an auto headlight bulb website.

The car i looked at has the LED tail lights and definitely has xenon dipped beam, stupidly didn't check the high beam but i thought the xenon option was bi-xenon.

but when looking at an auto bulb website for that vehicle, it said the dipped was D2S and main beam was H1?
Is this a mistake on the website or is the xenon only dipped?

hoping its a mistake as it was bi-xenon im wanting

I knew there were three light setups, one halogen, one 'standard' xenon, and one all-singing all-dancing adaptive see-round-corners xenon.

I thought the 'standard' xenon setup was for dipped to be xenon and high beam to be halogen as the site is leading you to think that car may be; however looking at the parts catalogue it appears that in the 'standard' xenon headlight unit, the lamp beside the gas discharge bulb is actually a low-wattage daytime driving light; it's the same arrangement in the adaptive headlight.

That would lead me to think that perhaps they're both 'bi-xenon'; as I understood it that xenon high-beam was most commonly achieved by adjusting the alignment of lamp & projector to widen the beam angle rather than there being a separate lamp for high-beam.

I dare say someone with the 'middle' set-up (mine are halogens) will reply with a conclusive answer...

R

View attachment 36020

Last edited:
Reactions: Tank.
Thanks for the reply, I stupidly should have checked that really but wasn't left alone long enough to play about, with a salesman nipping my ear it was hard to get a proper nose around in peace.
suppose the best option would be to message the saleman, but with the car in the spray shop he wouldn't be able to tell me either.

Just to confirm, I have the non-adaptive xenons on my A6, and the xenon lamp is indeed used for both high and low beam... the inner projector lamps are just used as daytime running lights.

yep same here Bi Xenon for main and dip beam and daytime running lights in the main beam spot area (unless my Xenon's are knackered) the main beam isn't as good as the Xenon dip halogen main light on my old A6 C5 and was looking into removing the daytime runners and fit a halogen main beam in its place with a bit of a headlamp mod.
Been speaking to a company on here about it recently.
No adaptive on mine and I have looked at the bulb web sites and all say the wrong bulbs for my car

Cool thats ok then :)

So i guess the next question would be whats the brightest xenon/side light combination.

I did see the phillips and osram bulbs are about £100 each but if theyre bright its a worthy upgrade

So update, went to check, is bi xenon, the reflectors are the sidelights.

Had planned to drive the car away today but noticed several LED's out on the rear clusters so refused to take the car away until its sorted.

sounds like a plan. Pick it up tomorrow or next week now?

Will be next week, had agreed thursday but supposed to be leaving for Buxton on thursday. The other issues that haven't been done are a 2 minute fix. Its whether they decide to just buy 2 new tail light units or try and source 2nd hand ones, as ive read individual LED/SMD cant be replaced

Maybe i should have just asked for £300 off and gone and bought the new units myself