Shuddery A6

balu29

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have just purchased a 2007 A6 2.0 TDI. Car seems fine apart from when starting fromcold after a couple of minutes the car is very shuddery / jerky but only between1200 - 1800 rpm. Anything above this andits fine. If you stop it idlesnormally. Once the engine is warm theproblem disappears. Almost feels like amisfire. It has been scanned with VCDSand no faults were detected. Reallyhappy with it other than this and was just wondering if anyone has had similar problemsor recommendations to check?

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but that is veryyyy common on 2L TDI's... what engine code is your car (available from V5)? and how many miles had it done? Serviced regularly... and by whom?

I have the same on mine albeit when it warms up :). Phantom issue to say the least but there are couple things you could try yourself (and I would do them in this order),

1. check (or replace) fuel filter
2. clean EGR valve (i'm awaiting delivery of Wynn's EGR cleaner and would try it this weekend)
3. check several N(something sensors) around EGR and whole gas recirculation system and make sure they work properly (via VCDS)
4. something I noticed is ever since I switched to Shell VPower diesel (or equivalent higher octane fuel) and used Wynn's Injector cleaning solution juddering had been somewhat reduced to minimal... it could be psychological effect but I noticed improvements ;).
5. engine mount(s)
6. flywheel
7. possible issues with injector(s) ?!
8. and some may suggest troublesome oil pump but I doubt it has any relation to 'intermittent juddering' on cold.

I guess other members will have something to add based on their experience but in a nutshell if you go through the abovementioed list and come to conclusion that everything is in order you should try and 'ignore' it as much as you can... annoying - yes, very... is it a major issue - I guess not!

Hope that helps.