A6 3.0tdi Quattro se vs bmw 525d msport

Deere3350

Reaction score
Hi all currently run bmw 525d m sport was looking for a6 3.0 Quattro s line but have seen a se 59 plate which has the more modern engine better performance and economy.But would the ride be to soft even if I changed the wheels and tyres to say 18's compared to my bmw or s line?

Test drive it: a lot of people prefer the SE suspension, especially if you just want a gentle luxury cruiser - a role that suits a TDI A6 better. The main reason I always gun for the Sport/S-Line spec is that they have a few decent extras - most notably the seats... again, not universally sought after. If I found an SE that was well specc'd, including the seats and the ride height looked okay, I'd seriously consider it as I'm not going to be drifting an A6 around roundabouts (often)... I'll be ordering an M235i cabrio for that and keeping the A6 for lugging the family around ;)

I agree with BahnStormer here. A big reason to opt for an S-Line or Le Mans is the specifications... they are usually loaded with equipment that would be foolishly expensive to try and retrofit (like seats, sound system, nav, xenons, etc).

Honestly, I would shop based on other factors such as equipment levels and engine (3.0 all the way!!), as its a pretty simple task to sort out the suspension if it is not to your taste. I have always been happy to sacrifice a bit of comfort for more taut and controlled handling, but when my family grew tired of the bone-shaking "crashiness" of the factory Le Mans suspension, I fitted aftermarket springs, dampers, and anti-roll bars, and problem solved... pimp spec, better-than-factory handling, and more-comfortable-than-factory ride.

To continue being a complete parrot, the only way to know what is "too soft" or "too hard" is to jump in and drive both a nice smooth motorway/A-road *and* a stretch of horrible bumpy road, and decide what you can live with. For what it is worth, I loved the tight feel of the S-Line setup on smooth roads, but it does get pretty crashy and cringe-inducing on anything remotely resembling a bump or pothole ;)

Cheers for the replies had a drive of the se on a B road didn't feel could go at the same pace as the bmw but it was first time in it and obviously it wasn't mine.Seemed well specced leather seats heated,nav,follow me home lights reversing camera just terrible wheels not a big problem though .The car did feel far roomier inside than my 5series very comfy.

Sounds quite well spec'd for an SE... I personally would constantly furrow my brow at both the wheels and the gap under the arches, and would cave, and tart it up with some wheels myself :)

As far as making it a bit more lively to drive, I reckon a cheeky remap or tuning box and fatter anti-roll bars would do the trick... I'd almost go so far as to say not mapping the 3.0 (even with an "economy" map) is blasphemy :)

I know mine is the C7 vs a C6, but with a S-Line on 18's, my suspension is not as smooth as my dad's old C6 SE, but it never feels harsh/crashy... only real complaint about mine is that it it so composed and carries such effortless pace everywhere that it never feels that fast.

Definitely don't buy a car based on the wheels, similar for the suspension, if anything an SE on aftermarket suspension will be more pliant and better handling than an S-Line, but just bear in mind that a SE on aftermarket suspension will (a) still be an SE (bodykit, seats, and value/appeal on resale) and (b) be a modified car, so more expensive to insure. Personally I'd go with the S-Line from the start just becuase I prefer the exterior styling and I've converted a previous car to S-Line body kit (my old silver "Sport" B6) and it was NOT cheap!!

18's are fine on mine, but not sure I'd be keen to put 19's/20's on it though (I think the optional upgrades go up to 21"!!!) and even for my winter tyres, 18's are the smallest I can go due to the brakes... I think most C6's can go down to 17's for winter wheels, so if it's on those, keep the old wheels for that!

And I'd second that on the remap... I've always been in favour of TDI's with a moderate economy remap as a minimum, "fast road" preferred for manual gear boxes, but I'd go with a milder remap for an auto: make sure the remapping company knows what they're doing and doesn't release so much low-down torque that it ruins your clutch.

Cheers for that s line was always my preference but thought I could change into the se for less than 2k.Wheels not an issue easy enough to change over just don't know about the look of it not as sleek looking as s line but it still is a3.0tdi Quattro.