3.0TDi Fuel pump belt

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Anyone know if the belt that runs the fuel pump needs changing, I've read conflicting information on some of the forums, so just wondering if anyone else has had their belt changed. The belt in question is shown below, it's at the front of the engine.

Belt

I would have thought there would a replacement interval on the belt, obviously not as important as something like a cam belt as the engine will just stop if the belt gives up. I wouldn't have thought the loading on the belt would be as high as if it was running a cam and all the valves.
Very easy to visually inspect the belt by removing the cover, you could then start and stop the engine a few times to check it all. If the teeth on the belt have cracks at the root or the belt looks frayed anywhere then I would replace it.

Karl.

Reactions: gupsterg
Their isn't a changing interval scheduled for this belt - recently had a complete fuel system (everything bar the tank) and this wasn't changed
When I asked about the necessity of the change not one tech in the workshop had ever had to change one

After looking through the Audi tech assistant computer it was determined that the belt doesn't have a changing interval

It's the same as the main serpentine belt that drives all the ancillaries there is no defined life for that you just go on the condition of it.
The tooth belt drive on the fuel pump is so understressed I doubt it puts any serious amount of strain on the belt.

Karl.

There is a routine for it to be changed its either 5/6 years and about 60/70k miles.
It should say in the handbook and the dealer did mine as it came within the time frame of a service.

Just checked the service schedule no mention of the belt change at any mileage... As a last resort I'll contact the dealer.

No scheduled interval/time mate, I had mine done when had timing chains/tensioners renewed as easy access and not costly.

From what I read if it fails no damage occurs other than engine stop due to no fuel pumping.

Reactions: B5NUT
Well I'm going to add it to the list of things to do this year. It does look in good condition and there is no signs of cracking.