Steering Angle Sensor Help.....

ZYX

Reaction score
Hey,
So the ESP light has come on my A6 3.0tdi Quattro.

I have had the car scanned and the message reads - " 00778 Steering Angle Sensor ( G85 ) No or Wrong Adaptation"
and - " 18265 Load signal error message from ECU P1857 Intermittent"

Both of these codes were read in the Brake Electronics Section.

When I had the Diagnostics equipment attached I went into the menu for viewing real time data from switches etc while the Car was running, in the Brake Electronics section. Brake switch etc all worked fine but the Steering Angle Sensor was not responding - no increase in Degrees, it remained at 0 degrees when I turned the steering wheel left and right.

I stripped out the plastic cowling in the drivers footwell to look for the Steering Angle sensor to check for voltage / earth etc... and obviously did not find it as I suspect it may be behind the Airbag on the Steering wheel.....

So my questions are - Does anyone know the exact location of it ? Has anyone ever had a similar problem with this sensor G85 ? Are they easy to replace ?

Appreciate your help,
Thanks, Sean.

The fault is either SCSM (number 4) or the slip-ring (number 6). You have to remove the airbag, steering wheel and then the upper & lower cowling you will then see the slip ring & SCSM.

Have you got access to VCDS as it could just required re calibration. The other fault indicates a communication error with the engine ECU, have you tried clearing the codes to see if they come back?

Slipring

Ok , Thanks alot for the reply. I will try and get it re-calibrated and see if that solves the problem ( hopefully !!)
I have tired clearing the codes but they wont clear... I suspect as I am not using VCDS. I am using a Snap-On Diagnostics machine.
Will post up with further development.
Cheers B5NUT !