Melye HD front suspenson arms set and rear wishbone and bushes

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Picking up my A6 at the end of the month, and looking at changing the arms & bushes on the car. For the front-end I was looking at a Melye HD kit, I have used them on my A4 and had no problems, just wondering if anyone had used these on their A6 before.

Also for the rear I was looking at replacing the track rod and upper wishbone, the problem comes with the Axle guides, Audi prices are almost £500 each, so they are not being replace but wondering if the bushes can be replaced.

I should add the car is 3.0TDi Quattro Avant and has 170K on the clock, and it's all a bit worn out to be fair.

Hi B5,

A failed air bladder in one strut on my 3.0TDI allroad at 85000km a few months ago prompted a refurbishment of the front end while I had it up in the air. I replaced all four front upper control arm bushes using Meyle HD parts. The bushes removed were genuine Audi parts that had developed circumferential splits. Looked as if the strut tower mounting bolts may have been tightened with the weight off the wheels ie. with the suspension in droop. The ball joints in the uppers were all still good and tight. As well as the two rebuilt struts, I replaced the four lower control arms at the same time using Febi parts.

What an improvement. My 2008 A6 hasn't done what you'd call high mileage, but the difference is marked. The ride is more compliant and quieter, particularly over sharp-edged bumps, so with yours having travelled double mine if you are talking kilometres, I'm sure there will be a renewed feeling of tightness. So, a mix of Meyle and Febi parts did it for me. Happy to recommend both suppliers.

I did purchase a proper screw-operated lever arm ball joint separator for the lower ball joint removals (would never use a pickle fork), specifically for the rear of the two. You can easily copper hammer the front ones upwards from below, but getting on to the rear ball joint needs the right tool. I had to open its throat a millimetre or so to allow the ball joint shaft to slide all the way in to the throat.

I hope your experience gives you the same satisfying result as I have had. It's one of the easier jobs on the C6 and was less than a day's work, even at my senior's pace.

Sorry I can't help you with your query with the rear end.

Cheers for the information ozallroader, I made a massive difference to my A4 when I changed the arms so I think the A6 will be the same. I got for the full arm replacement rather than just change the bushes. I have seen the bushes when people lower their car and wrecked them.

Will try All German Parts but I normally find I can get them cheaper from suppliers in Germany even with the postage.

For me in Oz, Rexbo in Germany (until recently, Teilsuche24) has offered the best deal when freight costs are added. Lots of choice of suppliers and frequent Angeboten, or special offers.