2010 Avant - ESP Problem?? PLEASE HELP!

Glutenberg

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought my first Audi around 3 weeks ago – 2010 Le Mans2.0TDI Avant. The car is absolutely tip-top, with 1 previous owner and 30k onthe clock.

For the last 5 years I have been driving an ‘08 Golf 1.9TDIwhich I have found a fantastic car. The steering is heavy and firm, and makesthe car feel extremely solid on the road.

In comparison I have found the steering on the Audi to beextremely light and does not feel as solid as the Golf, which I found strange.On a few motorway journeys recently I have found that when I am up to 70/80mphthe car feels as though you are driving in high wind, even when a calm day. Itis better on a good surface, but on a patchy motorway or when camber of theroad changes, the car will slightly veer to one side…. making you feel lessconfident of driving at speed, and that you have to be more alert and aware tokeep the car straight. It does not do it constantly, just every now and again.

This has been really puzzling me…. So I tried pressing the ‘ESPOFF’ and the yellow icon flashes up briefly on the dashboard but then goes offagain, which I do not think is right?

I tried turning the ESP off on the Golf this morning, andthe yellow icon stays on constantly on the dashboard, and the car then goes abit more like the Audi, with lighter steering, until you turn it on again

So the question is….. as the light does not stay on on theAudi, does this suggest a fault with it? And with my description of driving theAudi, does it sound like the ESP is permanently off?!

Any advice appreciated, as we really love the car – but arejust a bit concerned about this!

Many thanks

Steve

With a 2010 you've got a "C6" so you will likely get more replies in that area.

I doubt that your problem is related to the ESP, AFAIK it works by applying the brakes on individual wheels (as it does on the C5). More likely is that you are in need of wheel alignment and/or that something is serious wrong with your tires (way to low or high pressure, different sizes and so on)

This has been really puzzling me…. So I tried pressing the ‘ESPOFF’ and the yellow icon flashes up briefly on the dashboard but then goes offagain, which I do not think is right?

IIRC a quick press of it does not engage ESP OFF, perhaps it is this way to make sure it is not accidentally switched off?

On my A6 you have to keep ESP OFF pressed for a second or two for it to engage.

As above you have to hold the ESP button down, then the light will stay on until the car is restarted.

In comparison I have found the steering on the Audi to be extremely light and does not feel as solid as the Golf, which I found strange. On a few motorway journeys recently I have found that when I am up to 70/80mphthe car feels as though you are driving in high wind, even when a calm day. It is better on a good surface, but on a patchy motorway or when camber of the road changes, the car will slightly veer to one side…. making you feel less confident of driving at speed, and that you have to be more alert and aware to keep the car straight. It does not do it constantly, just every now and again.

I know I have a differing engine plus quattro car but occasionally when I've had loan 2WD cars from Audi dealer they have felt very comparable on steering weight/feel and given nice solid drive.

I've never felt insecure about steering on my car and think it is the best car I've ever had the pleasure of owning drive wise. The drive at 70/80 is so good I've had to apply the speed warning so I don't cruise over speed limit.

My car is a 2005 A6 3.0 TDi Avant with about 4mm tread all round currently.

The steering is servotronic ie speed related, have a google for SSP324 Audi A6 2005 Running gear view page 38 onwards for tech info.

Two thoughts on this. What brand of tyres has the car got? If they are cheap/budget brand tyres then that may be the issue, the Avant also requires Extra Load tyres, typically 96 or higher. I found my A6 Avant to be very sensitive to tyre pressures so you should check that they are set as per the sticker on the car