Hi fellow members,
The 3.0 TDi V6 is used in a lot of VAG models and the 2.7 TDi is derived from the 3.0 design so they both suffer from the "swirl manifold issue"
Issues that can occur:-
1) Swirl flap motor malfunction
2) Swirl flap link arm wear
3) Swirl butterflies bearing wear
So first image showing engine bay location of elements:-
Yellow text is cylinders numbering, green text is cylinder banks, red boxes swirl motors and code.
Now remedy for faults:-
1) Swirl motor can be purchased and replaced, VDO have an online catalogue for cross ref'ing.
2) Swirl arm repair kit from VAG dealers can be bought cheaper than ebay offerings.
Item 1 is swirl arm, 2 is the follower (orientation must be observed upon replacing), 3 is clip to secure follower.
P/N is 059 198 212
Description is "repair set for intake manifold"
Here is copy of my invoice if dealer say not exist:-
Here is video from another owner replacing bank 2 swirl arm/follower
Bank 1 is more difficult to do in situ as the clip to hold follower to manifold has to be guided on upside down.
Some people who I have spoken to have either used a method of gluing clip to a tool then guiding it on or managed with sheer ingenuity!
3) Swirl butterflies bearing wear can be repaired by these :-
Here is video of dismantling of manifold after removal by another owner
Where I sourced butterflies repair kit Link:- Audi | VAG | VW 3.0 TDI & 2.7 TDI swir flap intake manifold refurbisment | AirShox