3.2 fsi quattro cam chain

saxonblue

Reaction score
OK, I got the 3.2 fsi Quattro, and its got a cam / timing chain, now one garage told me that there's nothing I need to do with it, its a life of the car thing and will never need adjusting, or any kind of work doing to it.
BUT, I just saw an older program of 5th gear, on it was a golf with the same 3.2 engine , Jason from 5th gear says, there ace but look out for the chain going funny, there should be something in the service history telling you its been done, if not it could cost you £1000.

what do I need to do, if anything..........
confused!!!!! plz help:think:

Yes I saw that also, he mentioned about the tensioner failing.

Any updates on this thread?

The issue is with cam tensioner in all fsi/tfsi VAG engines.The solution as i find out is avoiding long life oil service and change oil every 7500 miles

I have it serviced every 12 months, or about 7.5k-8.5k miles without fail, the guy I use is a vw guru and only uses the oils, fluids you would get from vw / Audi, so I no its good stuff in there,
he told me not to worry, and said trust me, you would know if the chain was going faulty as you would hear it for ages first

Oils from Vw/Audi dealers are castrol or quantum so very average overpriced stuff.I prefer to pay bit extra for very good oils from Valvoline, Lm of Fuchs.I service the car with super guru ex racing driver who also used to build engines for one of the Uk racing Championships

I think the key to the long life of any engine is to move away from the stupid long life servicing, I change my oil every 6 months or 5K miles, and just use the quantum stuff. Also don't buy the oil from the VW/Audi dealers, it's a dam sight cheaper from TPS.