3L TDI 225 and 233

martin33100

Reaction score
Hi, we are currently looking at changing our BMW 330d Touring to a larger car and the A6 is one of the cars on the list to look at.
I have had many VAG cars (S3, Leon CR etc.) but they all went when the family started so I am a little out of touch with some of the later VAG stuff.

My main question's are, what are the differences on the 225 and 233 tdi engine?, ie is it a later type of engine or Audi just gave it a software update for the extra power?, and if I go for a Quattro is it reliable?

Also if I did go for a petrol it looks like the A6 had a 2LT FSI engine as an option but only 170hp, not the 200hp that all the other VAG cars had with one.

Also as I plan to get a remap would an auto be better? or are clutches ok. I know the later BMW 330d's can make 290hp/620nm and if its an auto the clutch's just don't last, the 335d twin turbo never came as a manual due to this problem.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I own a 3.0tdi A4 B8 quattro with 240ps. I've not been able to find out the differences between the engines. Not sure if anyone knows!

The quattro system is hugely reliable. It's a torsen 100% mechanical system so no electronics to go wrong unlike the haldex, xdrive etc (which also needs servicing unlike torsen).

Remaps react very well with these engines. The clutches are very durable and can take a remap fairly easily on an auto (dsg) but manual clutches seem to struggle with Remaps so an updated clutch would probably be advisable on a manual

I own a 3.0tdi A4 B8 quattro with 240ps. I've not been able to find out the differences between the engines. Not sure if anyone knows!

The quattro system is hugely reliable. It's a torsen 100% mechanical system so no electronics to go wrong unlike the haldex, xdrive etc (which also needs servicing unlike torsen).

Remaps react very well with these engines. The clutches are very durable and can take a remap fairly easily on an auto (dsg) but manual clutches seem to struggle with Remaps so an updated clutch would probably be advisable on a manual

Thanks for the reply, I like the sound of the Quattro system being mechanical.
We are popping down to Audi tonight to have a quick look and then next door to BMW to look at the face lift 2007 on X5's, I know what you mean with the xdrive and electronics that could go wrong.

As for space in the rear ( car with most distance from front and rear seats to aid leg room) the X5 is probably no bigger??

I can't imagine there is much difference in interior space.

I think the X5 will be based roughly on a 5 series floorplan and that's equivalent to the A6 in terms of them both being large premium cars.

Good luck with test drives. Just keep an open mind and I'm sure one will shine over the other

I can't imagine there is much difference in interior space.

I think the X5 will be based roughly on a 5 series floorplan and that's equivalent to the A6 in terms of them both being large premium cars.

Good luck with test drives. Just keep an open mind and I'm sure one will shine over the other
I know the wife will want the X5 but its going to be me that will be fixing it when it goes wrong. Take our 2007 BMW 330d, its now a very fast reliable car that will still do 50 mpg at 70, but to get it right I had to deal with DPF, EGR, thermostats that go weak, glow plug control module that usually fails etc and the list does go on. Good job I am an engineer for my day to day job and know how to use a spanner.

I remember Clarkson mentioning the X5 was no bigger inside than the X3 and to save yourself some money by going for the 3...

Quattro is great, once you've been there you don't want to turn back...

What's your budget? Have a look at the 3.0tfsi if you're a petrol head, 292BHP and will remap nicely to get you a 400BHP+ family saloon....

I'm torn between that or the S4 next...

I remember Clarkson mentioning the X5 was no bigger inside than the X3 and to save yourself some money by going for the 3...

Quattro is great, once you've been there you don't want to turn back...

What's your budget? Have a look at the 3.0tfsi if you're a petrol head, 292BHP and will remap nicely to get you a 400BHP+ family saloon....

I'm torn between that or the S4 next...
There is a dealer near us that will be getting a 3.0tfsi over the weekend, shame its a saloon as we would want the touring. As for the budget the A6 is still cheaper than a good BMW X5 E70.

To be honest the wife didn't go much on the A6 anyway but she did like the X5 that was almost twice the price!!.
Her favourite car in the past by a long way was our black S3.