Electronic park brake problem

sherry

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have a 2005 A6 TDI and i started getting a EPB error on the dash. The brake would not release and eventually it would. it happened a few times and now when i stop, it smells like the pads where rubbing on the disk constantly although there is no warning on the dash.

Now i am back to the warning constantly on but the brakes are not locked on.

The pads are now low on the off side and when i flick the park button the motor is really loud on this side.

Does this sound like i would require a new EPB motor?

cheers.

Sounds like sticky motor/piston :uhm:...

I wouldn't say my motor's are quiet but have no issues with them/EPB ...

I would also check the connections to the motor just to see if the wiring is not damaged ...

A VCDS scan can also be handy to check what DTC's are occuring ...

Reactions: sherry
I had a similar problem with an 05 Avant recently and ended up having to have a new caliper, because it includes the EPB system. Cost £600+.
I was told it could be because I do not use the brakes hard enough so the caliper gets stuck. Could be I suppose, I do tend not to use the brakes all that much or very hard when I do.
When I took the mechanic out to try to diagnose the noise I was getting (might have been wheel bearing it was that sort of rubbing noise) I ended up with the brake peddle going down to the floor with very little brake left. "Ah!" he said, "A seized caliper" Checking the wheel it was very hot where the brake had been rubbing almost constantly.
Hope you get off cheaper!

marsmail

Here is a diagram of the rear brake system Link:- Rear Brake system Fits:Audi A6 | Jim Ellis Audi Parts

Calliper service kits are also available from manufacturers of calliper, IIRC Girling-TRW are the OE maker.

You can see which PR code of brake system you have from either the data sticker in the spare wheel well or service log.

Here is a PR code decoder and also it has a PDF RE PR codes Link:- PlanetVAG.com - VW & Audi PR Code Search

Google for SSP 324 Audi A6 - 05 Running gear , view pages 20-22 have some info on EPB.

There are also other handy SSP's 323 , 325 , 326 , 327 , 344 , 350 , 351 , 366 , 286 , 293

Last edited:
great info guys.

i will look into it :beerchug: