Audio Query.......

ZYX

Reaction score
Hey,

I am wondering is there any way I can connect an external audio device wether it be an iPod or MP3 player to the MMI on my car.
It's a late 2004 A6 Quattro, 3.0 Tdi, C6.

There are various claims online with several products but I would rather hear from people who know what they are talking about and who have possibly fitted something that works.

Any help appreciated,
Cheers, Sean.

Last edited:
Do you have colour or RED screen MMI?? If you have colour then your best option would be Audi AMI, if you have RED screen then Dension Gateway 500. Neither option is cheap unless you find a second hand units, also AMI will require an MMI software update to work.

It has e red screen MMI.
Is that my only option ? What sort of money are you talking ?
Thanks.

Hi, sorry to change the subject, but i have the same MMI with red screen, when i get in the car and turn on it automatically comes on with classic fm, i never listen to this but for some reason comes on when i get in, its not everytime it happens but quite often, does anyone know if i can stop this as its quite annoying.

I've looked into this for a while now and watched a lot of Dension 500's on ebay. They go from around £180 upto about £260 2nd hand new around £300+ it does seem the best way to go though and unfortunately the only way.

Nice one Chadders. They are a pricey bit of kit alright, don't know if I want one that bad .......

Hi, does anyone know if I can fit a cd changer in the glove box instead of the single disc player that is in there? Is it a straight swap or is there any different wiring needed?
Thanks

The single CD player IIRC can be changed to a CD changer but the cost of a drive plus component protection will make it uneconomical when compared to a Dension IMO ...

Reactions: Chadders
Whats the component protection? Also what is Dension? Sorry for the silly question s but I dont know much about these.

Whats the component protection? Also what is Dension? Sorry for the silly question s but I dont know much about these.
Component protection is like a code used by Audi cars to recognise bits of kit it stops you fitting something stolen into your motor and vice verse dealers can remove component protection so you can use a cd changer for instance from another vehicle, someone will no doubt have a better and more accurate ans dension have a look at this
Hands Free Car Kits | iPod Adapter for Car | Bluetooth Hands Free Kits

Thanks for that, I know what you mean now. That dension looks good, do you know how much they are roughly? Im on my phone at mo so website wasnt so good, couldnt see a price.

You cannot change the single CD to a 6 CD, it's not possible, the single CD is the radio, CD player, screen controller. So it's NOT a swappable item.

What you can do is add a 6 CD changer alongside it effectively giving you 7 CD's

But as mentioned you will have component protection to take off when it has been fitted.

Maybe an easier solution would be a GW500 or GW500s (with Bluetooth) for Ipod/USB/Aux instead.

Reactions: gupsterg and Chadders
anyone know how much audi charge to fit the AMI kit to an 06 A6 with high mmi 2g?

or where I can get the mmi update discs?

cheers.