Gearbox identification

Chrisw4266

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just bought a '03 allroad 2.5TDI auto an was hoping some one could shed some light on what type of gearbox is fitted to it it's a 5 speed auto with a manual mode on the shifter and buttons on the steering wheel. Any help would be great cheers Chris.

I'm pretty sure that the 2.5 TDI is the 177PS VP-generation TDI, so that's a C5, not a C6 (made 2000-2005).

Audi A6 Allroad (00-05) 2.5 TDi quattro Limited Edition 5d Tip Auto - MPG, Dimensions & Performance | Parkers

Not sure what you mean by "what type of gearbox?": it's a regular torque-converter automatic since that's is the only gearbox they did for any quattro's/Allroads 10 years ago.

Audi hadn't started doing the quick-shifting single-plater ("tiptronic") or the seamless DSG ("S-tronic") that they do for quattro's now and the CVT ("multitronic") has never been used in any quattro's.

Thanks for the info. You've answered my question wanted to confirm it didn't have the cvt box as I've read so horrendous faults with that box coupled with the sometimes problematic air suspension it's one less thing to worry about. Yep sorry just realised I've posted in the wrong forum. Cheers for the reply Chris.

no probs - definitely NOT a CVT gearbox... there were a few of the lower spec FWD 2.5TDI's that had CVT, but never any quattro's and ALL the 2.5TDI's were recalled since they had a near-100% failure rate on the old 6-plate CVT system due to the torque that even a detuned 2.5TDI generates... quite a few of the 1.9TDI's and 1.8T's also failed on the old 6-plate system.