AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B5NUT

Thread: Advise needed, 2.0 , 2.7 , 3.0 TDI

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Question Advise needed, 2.0 , 2.7 , 3.0 TDI

I'm looking at going for a C6 in a 2.0TDI Quatrro S-Line but I have a A4 (B6) 2.5TDI Quattro Sport now, What i was looking to know is should i really be looking at the 2.7 or even the 3.0,

What should i be looking out for ? I know the B6 2.5 had Cam issues that yes, did come and smack me not long after i got the car,

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    you ideally need the 2.7 or 3.0 because the a6 is still a big heavy car and the 2.0 is just not man enough
    V8 baby... oh yeah

6th Gear

Status
    Cannot see the point with the 2.7, it has to be the 3.0.
    Ste_Nova likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    the 2.7 in fwd was lower company car tax.
    V8 baby... oh yeah

6th Gear

Status

Advise needed, 2.0 , 2.7 , 3.0 TDI

2.0 TDi wasn't available with quattro in the c6.

3.0 all the way although I'm biased

Try and get as late a car as you can .. 07 plate onwards is a good starting point.

Status
    Maybe a test drive of the engines is what is needed, TBH the car will be parked up out the back of where i live and 90% of the time as i work from home and i have a MINI Cooper S to Raz about in, I'm more looking for a car that can be used to roll up to business meetings in with a presents,

I was looking at this fella, well one like it, when the time comes,

Audi A6 2.0 TDI TDV S LINE 4DR##SAT NAV+55 MPG+19 ALLOYS## 2007

1st Gear

Status
    Three point oh, all the way baby!

If you are looking for a pimpmobile to impress people, surely you should shoot for a nice A8 with the 4.2 TDI... they can be had for less than you'd think. If I hadn't been specifically shopping for an estate, I reckon I would have been extremely tempted to step up to the A8.

6th Gear

Status

Advise needed, 2.0 , 2.7 , 3.0 TDI

Drive the 2.0 and a 3.0 - I found the 2.0 extremely under powered for the size of car and settled on a year old 3.0 TDI Le Mans for less than half price new.

6th Gear

Status
    As above Paul, once you had a v6 is difficult to go back to a 4 pot, there is no comparison ! I have a 200 Bhp a4 b6 1.9 tdi and whilst fast it's a completely different power delivery compared with the torquey v6 tdi ! The 2.0 Tdi is no different, the pd engine delivers it's torque in one big spike, the v6 is much more progressive ! You need to take one on a long mixed drive...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Neutral

Status
    I am another biased 3.0 owner.
    You will find, as I did when given a courtesy car (2.0) that it is just not in the same league.
    The 3.0 gives max torque from about 1400 to 3800 revs. It is pretty nearly flat along the graph (ie it does not vary much from the max output) the effect of this is that you just keep accelerating without any appreciable break for gear changes (being a 6 speed auto box as standard)
    I always find it amusing to watch other vehicles getting smaller in the rear view mirror as they fail to keep pace!
    Apparently the "average" family car will do 30 - 50 through the gears in about 7 secs and 50 - 70 in about 7 secs. The 3.0 does 30 - 70 in 7.2 secs
    Mine is now 7+ years old, but still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

Go 3.0 - on a run 45 mpg is possible , round town I normally get 30+ - I am not complaining!

marsmail

Status
    is the 3.0 the same engine as the V6 in the AKE 2.5TDi but better tuned ?

6th Gear

Status
    Nope, the 3.0 tdi is a CR engine and it does not have a VP44 injector pump anymore. However, it's also much more complicated and has 4 symplex timing chains ! Also the intake manifolds are known to fail and injectors are rather expensive to replace when they go wrong. From a comparison point the old v6 tdi is cheap to maintain and repair as oposed to the 2.7 or 3.0 tdi
    FOR SALE:
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

1st Gear

Status
    V6 3.0 great to brings a when driven... when things need doing/go wrong you'll say and then ...

I have one... today I totalled all bills exc. fuel, tools for DIY, car clean products...

£6.1K in 18mths... biggest ones was all chains & tip oil done, injectors full set...

And I did alot of DIY...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    V6 3.0 great to brings a when driven... when things need doing/go wrong you'll say and then ...

I have one... today I totalled all bills exc. fuel, tools for DIY, car clean products...

£6.1K in 18mths... biggest ones was all chains & tip oil done, injectors full set...

And I did alot of DIY...
    There you go ! That summs it up perfectly ! To be frank almost every modern engine built after 2004 is crap and i don't talk only VAG ! Just to give you a few examples: 1.6 Tdi engine is weaker than the 20 years old 1Z engine as fitted to the old audi 80 and only offers a 5% fuel economy increase compared with the old tech...don't get me started on the 2.0 Tdi engine...even CR is not that reliable anymore and very, very expensive to put right when things go wrong ! Give me an old v6 tdi and 3k cash and i will give you 300Bhp reliable, without any of the drawbacks of modern lumps !
    FOR SALE:

J40
    Reverse Gear

Status
    How about a 4.2 Petrol? 300bhp.

With an LPG conversion for fuel @ 70p/litre, and lower road tax due to dual fuel, it can start to make sense......

I think there might be one on the classifieds? (it might even be mine!)

James