Advise needed, 2.0 , 2.7 , 3.0 TDI

Turkster

W.Bro.Paul 2.0d Q5 Quattro
Reaction score
Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm looking at going for a C6 in a 2.0TDI Quatrro S-Line but I have a A4 (B6) 2.5TDI Quattro Sport now, What i was looking to know is should i really be looking at the 2.7 or even the 3.0,

What should i be looking out for ? I know the B6 2.5 had Cam issues that yes, did come and smack me not long after i got the car,

Thanks in advance,

Paul

you ideally need the 2.7 or 3.0 because the a6 is still a big heavy car and the 2.0 is just not man enough

Cannot see the point with the 2.7, it has to be the 3.0.

Reactions: Ste_Nova
2.0 TDi wasn't available with quattro in the c6.

3.0 all the way although I'm biased :)

Try and get as late a car as you can .. 07 plate onwards is a good starting point.

Maybe a test drive of the engines is what is needed, TBH the car will be parked up out the back of where i live and 90% of the time as i work from home and i have a MINI Cooper S to Raz about in, I'm more looking for a car that can be used to roll up to business meetings in with a presents,

I was looking at this fella, well one like it, when the time comes,

Audi A6 2.0 TDI TDV S LINE 4DR##SAT NAV+55 MPG+19 ALLOYS## 2007

Three point oh, all the way baby! :)

If you are looking for a pimpmobile to impress people, surely you should shoot for a nice A8 with the 4.2 TDI... they can be had for less than you'd think. If I hadn't been specifically shopping for an estate, I reckon I would have been extremely tempted to step up to the A8.

Drive the 2.0 and a 3.0 - I found the 2.0 extremely under powered for the size of car and settled on a year old 3.0 TDI Le Mans for less than half price new.

As above Paul, once you had a v6 is difficult to go back to a 4 pot, there is no comparison ! I have a 200 Bhp a4 b6 1.9 tdi and whilst fast it's a completely different power delivery compared with the torquey v6 tdi ! The 2.0 Tdi is no different, the pd engine delivers it's torque in one big spike, the v6 is much more progressive ! You need to take one on a long mixed drive...

I am another biased 3.0 owner.
You will find, as I did when given a courtesy car (2.0) that it is just not in the same league.
The 3.0 gives max torque from about 1400 to 3800 revs. It is pretty nearly flat along the graph (ie it does not vary much from the max output) the effect of this is that you just keep accelerating without any appreciable break for gear changes (being a 6 speed auto box as standard)
I always find it amusing to watch other vehicles getting smaller in the rear view mirror as they fail to keep pace!
Apparently the "average" family car will do 30 - 50 through the gears in about 7 secs and 50 - 70 in about 7 secs. The 3.0 does 30 - 70 in 7.2 secs
Mine is now 7+ years old, but still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

Go 3.0 - on a run 45 mpg is possible , round town I normally get 30+ - I am not complaining!

marsmail

Nope, the 3.0 tdi is a CR engine and it does not have a VP44 injector pump anymore. However, it's also much more complicated and has 4 symplex timing chains ! Also the intake manifolds are known to fail and injectors are rather expensive to replace when they go wrong. From a comparison point the old v6 tdi is cheap to maintain and repair as oposed to the 2.7 or 3.0 tdi

V6 3.0 great to :racer: brings a :w00t: when driven... when things need doing/go wrong you'll say :wtf:and then :crying:...

I have one... today I totalled all bills exc. fuel, tools for DIY, car clean products...

£6.1K in 18mths... biggest ones was all chains & tip oil done, injectors full set...

And I did alot of DIY...

V6 3.0 great to :racer: brings a :w00t: when driven... when things need doing/go wrong you'll say :wtf:and then :crying:...

I have one... today I totalled all bills exc. fuel, tools for DIY, car clean products...

£6.1K in 18mths... biggest ones was all chains & tip oil done, injectors full set...

And I did alot of DIY...
There you go ! That summs it up perfectly ! To be frank almost every modern engine built after 2004 is crap and i don't talk only VAG ! Just to give you a few examples: 1.6 Tdi engine is weaker than the 20 years old 1Z engine as fitted to the old audi 80 and only offers a 5% fuel economy increase compared with the old tech...don't get me started on the 2.0 Tdi engine...even CR is not that reliable anymore and very, very expensive to put right when things go wrong ! Give me an old v6 tdi and 3k cash and i will give you 300Bhp reliable, without any of the drawbacks of modern lumps !

How about a 4.2 Petrol? 300bhp.

With an LPG conversion for fuel @ 70p/litre, and lower road tax due to dual fuel, it can start to make sense......

I think there might be one on the classifieds? (it might even be mine!)

James