Faulty Xenon on '07 S-line Avant

Hollean

Reaction score
The nearside xenon headlight on my 07 plate A6 2.7Tdi Avant S-line has gone intermittant. It works 9 times out of 10 but every few days it fails to light and i get a dash warning. Switching it off and on brings it back on. I have checked that the bulb really is not lighting and it isn't just a faulty error message.
Has anyone alse seen that before ? If I need to replace it I know it isn't going to be easy. I found some instructions in an A4 forum for replacing the xenon bulb by removing the water reservoir and power steering reservoir. Is that going to work on an A6 ?
Thanks in advance for any advice.​

Easier if you remove the bumper and take the headlamp out, the d2s bulbs are a real pita to fit so if its off the car it will be alot quiker.

The bulbs can go, i had a customer who had an 09 with a bulb out.

i can supply you a pair of uprated bulbs so you can change both to a nice white colour.

Thanks

It's all been OK for few months but suddenly its got dramatically worse.
The offside one has just totally failed. I noticed it was a soft pink a few days ago and now and doesn't come on at all.
The nearside one comes on fine when the car is cold and stays on for hours, no problem. However if I leave it on for a while ( 10-30 mins) and switch it off then on again when it's warm it doesn't come back on.
Question. Is there any way I can tell if my problem(s) are ballast or bulb. Do I just have to purchase both and spend time swapping them in and out ?

Sounds more like a bulb problem, I think a ballast will either work, or not.

If you want to know if it's the ballast take the no-working side bulb and put it in the working headlight, if you get the same result then you know where the fault lies.

Ok. We have an answer.
I've replaced the bulbs on both sides and all seems OK.
Thanks to all for your helpful answers

How much were replacement bulbs, I know I'm going to need to change mine at some point.