Updating maps in A6 satnav 2007

snorkelboy

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just bought my first Audi and I am really enjoying the experience so far. :)

My car is a 57 plate with 2006 maps on the disc in the dvd player. I thought that I would simply update the maps by buying a genuine 2012 Audi disk. However when I take the old disk out and put the 2012 version in, nothing happens and basically it tells me that there is no disk in the drive. I know it has to be me being silly but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, can anybody help me please by guiding me in the right direction.

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Regards.

S

Hi there, and welcome to ASN :beerchug:

The first thing to check, I guess, is what type of 2012 disc you have...

Audi 'factory' navigation comes in various flavours - there are a few variations of the RNS (Radio Navigation System), and a couple of MMI (Multi-Media Interface) - in simple terms, they all take different map discs.

The C6 platform A6 (2004-2011) was fitted with MMI - '2G' (2nd Generation) and '3G' (you guessed it). On a 57 plate, it'll be (unless I'm missing something) 2G [the quickest way to verify on an EU market car is to look at the control wheel: if it's flat on top, you're 2G, if it's got a little joystick on top, you're 3G] - MMI 2G in turn, came in two [main] flavours - first MMI Basic - which has a monochrome screen and (IIRC) basic navigation (through the DIS display in the instrument cluster), and MMI High - which has a full colour screen.

From what you've said, I expect that you've got MMI 2G High - so getting back to where I originally started, the first thing to check is that the disc you have is suitable for that system.

If you post the part number of the map package you've got, I(/we) will quickly be able to check which system it's for.

[Also, post moved to A6 secion ;)]

All the best,

Rob.

Hi there, and welcome to ASN :beerchug:

The first thing to check, I guess, is what type of 2012 disc you have...

Audi 'factory' navigation comes in various flavours - there are a few variations of the RNS (Radio Navigation System), and a couple of MMI (Multi-Media Interface) - in simple terms, they all take different map discs.

The C6 platform A6 (2004-2011) was fitted with MMI - '2G' (2nd Generation) and '3G' (you guessed it). On a 57 plate, it'll be (unless I'm missing something) 2G [the quickest way to verify on an EU market car is to look at the control wheel: if it's flat on top, you're 2G, if it's got a little joystick on top, you're 3G] - MMI 2G in turn, came in two [main] flavours - first MMI Basic - which has a monochrome screen and (IIRC) basic navigation (through the DIS display in the instrument cluster), and MMI High - which has a full colour screen.

From what you've said, I expect that you've got MMI 2G High - so getting back to where I originally started, the first thing to check is that the disc you have is suitable for that system.

If you post the part number of the map package you've got, I(/we) will quickly be able to check which system it's for.

[Also, post moved to A6 secion ;)]

All the best,

Rob.

Sorry to labour the point but only 3G MMI High (hard disk based version) had the joy stick, the standard (DVD) version had no joy stick.

I think the major means of identifying which version you have is that the for the 2G version the DVD (or in the case on MMI Low, the CD) drive for the navigation system is in behind the trim on the LH side of the boot, whilst in the 3G version it is in the glovebox. 3G was only available in the face-lift cars which are the 2009 model year so the OPs system is definitely 2G and because he has a DVD rather than CD (and thus presumably a colour display on the dash, as the MMI Low system had only a monochrome (red) MMKI display and single country navigation without maps) it is MMI High.

If, as the OP claims, this is a genuine Audi DVD (ie got from an Audi dealer) then assuming it is the right version he should return it to the dealer and ask why it is not working - might be worth performing a factory reset on the MMI system first. If it has been bought elsewhere (as a genuine product) it is probably a copy and as such there may be all sorts of reasons why it is not working and he should take it up with the person he purchased it from

I agree 2G MMI high system for sure, when a new disk is inserted into the DVD navigation in the boot the MMI system should prompt with the message. "New software available- would you like to update" or something similar.

If you don't get that then it's either not the right disk or it's not been inserted into the boot Nav unit, some people do actually out it into the 6 CD drive.

Hi Folks, i have an A6 on a 2007 plate, my nave is in the front in the Glove box. I'm also trying to update my maps but when reading this i'm a little confused as to where in the boot i have to look. The Nav display is Red? Do you think i have the wrong disk as it seems to send me down roads that are not there?? Cheers in advance. Sorry to comment in this post, i've only just joined and this is the first topic related to what i'm trying to sort

The navigation is the boot is called MMI High and has a colour screen and is dvd based

The navigation is the boot is called MMI High and has a colour screen and is dvd based
I dunno what i just did but i pressed a button by mistake, sorry.
I've just been on the site for the updated disc, i can't believe they want that much for a Cd I think i might try Ebay or Amazon? Surely i can get 1 cheaper .
I have another question, the phone link in my car doesn't seem to work? Do you have any advise on this aswell please

Need a bit more information, what message do you get on the screen when the tel button is pressed?

MMI Basic navigation was not a popular option, and there are not many current disc available on ebay but have a search on google as they are a few web site around that sell copies.

Hi Folks, i have an A6 on a 2007 plate, my nave is in the front in the Glove box. I'm also trying to update my maps but when reading this i'm a little confused as to where in the boot i have to look. The Nav display is Red? Do you think i have the wrong disk as it seems to send me down roads that are not there?? Cheers in advance. Sorry to comment in this post, i've only just joined and this is the first topic related to what i'm trying to sort
My mistake :oops:. I thought both systems put the unit in the boot, clearly for those with the CD based navigation system (no maps and mono red MMI display) the unit is in the glovebox

Need a bit more information, what message do you get on the screen when the tel button is pressed?

MMI Basic navigation was not a popular option, and there are not many current disc available on ebay but have a search on google as they are a few web site around that sell copies.
Hi Pal, i'm sorry i haven't got back to you, i've been a little busy. I've only had the car about a month now and only tryed the phone a couple of times and i gave up. I will have to check what comes up on the screen tonight as i'm in work at the mo
Thank you for your help m8, much appreciated

Also what phone do you have as there are known issues with bluetooth and ISO8

I had an issue connecting my Samsung, delete any old phones and then connect your phone to the car, not the other way round. The car wont detect the samsung, (not sure about others) but the phone found the car no problem once the phone list was empty.