AH FabricationsSky Insurance

Thread: Sat Nav Problem

Avantageous

Status

Sat Nav Problem

Hi guys,

Just purchased a used Navigation unit to fit to my A6. Bought all the wiring and a GPS attena, all hooked up correctly.
    I downloaded a 2012 map disc, and burnt it to a DVD+R. When I put the disc in, it seems to work fine, until you do a search for a street. It then comes up with loading street names, hangs on there for about 30 seconds, then comes up with 'Check navigation DVD'.

Does anyone here use a burnt DVD copy of the maps? Had any problems?

I just want to know whether its the DVD that causes the issue, or if its the drive itself. If its the drive, I can return it for a refund.

If there is anyone local to me (Aldershot, Hampshire) who has a genuine DVD map (any year), that is willing to let me pop it in my DVD drive and see if it causes the same problem, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Chris.
    2011 Audi-Sport.net Fantasy Formula 1 Champion

2005 Audi A6 3.2FSI S-Line Quattro Stratos Blue
    19x9 S6 / Half Leather Interior / Memory Seats / Black Headlining / S6 Paddle Wheel / S6 Exhaust
    Front & Rear Parking Sensors / TPMS / Adaptive Xenons / Actuated Boot Lid / Bose / Sat Nav / Bluetooth / Sunroof
    Double Glazing / Auto Dimming Interior & Exterior Folding Mirrors / Storage Pack / Lighting Pack

2. # ADS
    ADS

Administrator

Status
    To keep my original in pristine condition, I use a DVD-R back-up.

I burned it to a Verbatim -R at 4X - touch wood - it hasn't missed a beat (been using it since Feb/March).

Rob.
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFurlong View Post
    Hi guys,

Just purchased a used Navigation unit to fit to my A6. Bought all the wiring and a GPS attena, all hooked up correctly.
    I downloaded a 2012 map disc, and burnt it to a DVD+R. When I put the disc in, it seems to work fine, until you do a search for a street. It then comes up with loading street names, hangs on there for about 30 seconds, then comes up with 'Check navigation DVD'.

Does anyone here use a burnt DVD copy of the maps? Had any problems?

I just want to know whether its the DVD that causes the issue, or if its the drive itself. If its the drive, I can return it for a refund.

If there is anyone local to me (Aldershot, Hampshire) who has a genuine DVD map (any year), that is willing to let me pop it in my DVD drive and see if it causes the same problem, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Chris.
    Sat Nav data on DVD from 2011 onwards requires "unlocking" with a pin number (I guess using VCDS) so it is very doubtful that the data you downloaded will work
    2012 A6 Avant 2.0TDi SE
    1970 Lotus Elan +2S

Administrator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by elan2s View Post
    Sat Nav data on DVD from 2011 onwards requires "unlocking" with a pin number (I guess using VCDS) so it is very doubtful that the data you downloaded will work
    I think that's only the case for MMI 3G. I'm on 2G-High and it's not so picky.

R
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FactionOne View Post
    I think that's only the case for MMI 3G. I'm on 2G-High and it's not so picky.

R
    Fair point, which I also thought of last night. OP does not say whether he has added a 2G or 3G device, though I presume it is probably 2G as most later cars that could accept 3G had it installed at the factory so less demand for retrofit
    2012 A6 Avant 2.0TDi SE
    1970 Lotus Elan +2S

Avantageous

Status
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I have 2G.

Ill try burning the maps to a DVD-R today and see if that makes a difference.

19x9 S6 / Half Leather Interior / Memory Seats / Black Headlining / S6 Paddle Wheel / S6 Exhaust
    Front & Rear Parking Sensors / TPMS / Adaptive Xenons / Actuated Boot Lid / Bose / Sat Nav / Bluetooth / Sunroof
    Double Glazing / Auto Dimming Interior & Exterior Folding Mirrors / Storage Pack / Lighting Pack

Avantageous

Status
    Burnt the maps to a DVD-R this morning, popped it in and it seems promising.
    When you choose the Street Name option, it comes up with loading and loads them in about a second, whilst on the old DVD it would hang for 30 seconds and then come up with 'Check navigation DVD'.

Ill go for a drive later on and see how it goes.