What's the point of 2.7tdi auto

p1tse

Reaction score
When the 3.0 tdi auto has better performance and same mpg?

Apart from outlay in cost

....i think you may have just answered that one yourself.........:unsure:

ah fair enough

shame there's such a big difference in bhp and torque between them.

even a remapped 2.7tdi i assume won't be as flexible as a 3.0tdi

is it a case of four pot vs v6????? or are the 2.5/2.7 also v6?

Yes the 2.7 is V6 , mines had a ecu remap and its now 230 / 340 so near the 3.0 on that .

thanks
is yours manual or auto, what sort of mpg do you get, best, worst, average?

its a auto, best mpg 44 worst ??? never really noticed think i average 36mpg

one thing i found in favour of the 2.7tdi is that post 2006 the road tax on the 3.0tdi is double!

If buying used, you will get much more 2.7 for your money. At least one spec higher and fully loaded for the same money as a poverty spec 3.0.

Away from the lights there is little in it (due to gearing), accelerating on the motorway the 3.0 certainly has an advantage. Cruising along on a dual carriageway, nothing in it and similar mpg.

I had no qualms about buying a fully loaded 2.7. If I really wanted some grunt, I would have bought an S... which I may yet do ;)

When the 3.0 tdi auto has better performance and same mpg?

Apart from outlay in cost

I thought that the 3.0TDI was only available as a Quattro (tiptronic) where as the 2.7 is a Front Wheel Drive (Multitronic).
I am more than pleased with my 2009 2.7 TDI (V6) s-line.

Last edited:
I have just bought a 2 year old 2.7 tdi Quattro. The reason being price. It is less desirable so thousands cheaper than the 3.0. It is a vast improvement on my last car so I am very happy.

I have a 2010 2.7 TDI Quattro Le Mans...........could justify the extra for the 3.0. Car is great :)

I bought my 2007 2.7 Le Mans quattro Avant 2 weeks ago, and it is an awesome car. If I want more power I'll get it remapped but it certainly isn't slow. Smooth as silk and plenty of torque for most situations - and £245 road tax versus £425 for the 3.0.

A nice bonus for me is that it has a very good spec (I must find the original owner and take him out for a beer sometime....). I hate to think how much more I would have needed to pay for a 3.0 with the same spec.

More than happy with it - and it has more than enough power for me so far :thumbsup:

Don't hesitate if you find the right one....

I have the 3.0TDI in Allroad tiptronic. It does cost more but obviously I thought it was worth it. Remap it and you'll experience the shock on the faces in your mirrors that 560NM of torque delivers. Averages 33-40mpg on a run, depending on warp control (right foot). The only downside is 25mpg around town.

Allroader: what year is your Allroad and have you had a re-map done? Who did it, considering it for my A6

Seems to be some confusion over 3.0 TDI road tax, the majority are less than 225k/gm so are £200 road tax. Mine is 3.0 TDI Quattro and is 223k/gm, check the registration document. This has been mentioned in another thread somewhere....

Main reason for better mpg in 2.7 is that a lot of them are 2wd, whereas all 3.0 are quattro..