Window Regulator Wire has snapped :(

bigblokey0

Reaction score
my Window Regulator Wire has snapped on the drivers side so now i cant open the window ive seen these items for sale on ebay for about £16 are they easy to fit and is that a good price ?

Not sure about the price, mine had snapped but I just replaced the full regulator, £55 delivered from Euro Car Parts.

Changing the full regulator was pretty easy, not sure about changing the wire but should be simple enough I imagine

I managed to pick the whole door inner from a scrap yard and took the wire and motor as one unit and just replaced that, but that was in my Audi Coupe. Try to see what you can get first, but £16 sounds good for a go yourself.

Not sure about the price, mine had snapped but I just replaced the full regulator, £55 delivered from Euro Car Parts.

Changing the full regulator was pretty easy, not sure about changing the wire but should be simple enough I imagine

so did you not have to fit the wire around the rollers ?

ive tried fitting the new wire around the rollers but i must be doing something wrong as the wire doesnt fit right its either to long or to short ive tried searching the net for fitting instructions but to no avail :(

It might be that the window glass has to be down (or up), as if the wire broke, the motor will be in either up postion, or fully down??

Try taking the other door card off and look at that one for comparrision?

you have to remove the motor anyway to fit the new wire ive tried the wire in both up and down position but still no luck :s

i could look at the other door but it would mean i would have to remove the motor and everything else and risk messing that one all up aswell

so did you not have to fit the wire around the rollers ?

ive tried fitting the new wire around the rollers but i must be doing something wrong as the wire doesnt fit right its either to long or to short ive tried searching the net for fitting instructions but to no avail :(

The wire was already fitted to it, I fitted a brand new regulator

I fitted an ebay regulator wire to my A6 yesterday, I fitted it with the window up. It was a bit fiddly and there was swearing involved but I found it easiest to loop the wire around everything except one of the bottom pulleys, then with a couple of thin screwdrivers managed to coax the wire round the last pulley. I should have taken pictures. hope it works for you.

I gave up in the end and just fitted a new regulator

When the wire is snapped or badly frayed, its in deed easier to find a cheap complete regulator and swap the unit out.
But if the window is just slow going up, stopping, reversing, in most cases, only one of the 2 plastic clips are broken (front windows).
They are fairly easy to replace (good DIY write ups available).

I stock them. Orders placed before 12 noon EST ship same day.

See here:
RegulatorFix.com

Note: I have NOT found any manufacturer for the REAR C5 A6 window clips (I do have the front and rear clips for the C6 A6 though).

Attachments

• IMG_6930.jpg
    IMG_6930.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 366
  • Audi A6 C5 front clip blue.jpg
    Audi A6 C5 front clip blue.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 394
my wire snapped inside the gear thing, so replaced the whole lot. was a pita drilling the old rivets out and putting the new ones in (you have to go to Audi for them btw) once you have all the bits its a 30 minute job.