front doors sticking :s

bigblokey0

Reaction score
now and again my front doors will not open the central locking works fine but when i pull the handle up it wont budge i have to keep opening the window and using the inside handle to open the door also on frosty morning the drivers door wont even unlock and the lock is frozen solid so im unable to unlock the dor with the key so i have to climb in from the passenger side lol does anyone know whats wrong and how i can fix it thanks

Mine are the same. Have had to get in to my car via the rear doors a couple of times this year, and by the time i've driven for 20 minutes, the front doors open fine. I assume that there is a small amount of moisture in the mechanism that stops the doors unlocking when the temp drops sub zero. Not aware of an easy fix, other than to use your garage if you have one (which i haven't).

Hi,

our 2002 A6 does something similar in really cold frosty weather - the central locking would unlock the drivers door - but when you get in and try to close the door - the door catch won't engage, so you can't shut the door ( it will shut - but won't hold iteself shut ) as above - guess it's some moisture, as pouring warm water on the lock seems to loosen things - and the catch freed up and 'worked':icon_thumright:

- I'd wondered if theer were any good temperature resistant lubricants?

Can you guys not use the key? If the car has the cold weather pack, the drivers door lock is heated :)

cold weather pack ? mines just a normal key . If I can find out how to remove the door card then ill be able to take a look and maybe grease up the mechanical workings to stop it happening in the future but as I say it doesn't just happen in the cold and its getting more frequent I need to get it sorted before Im unable to open the doors at all

Hi all,

Had the same problem, but when the sun has warmed the door up, the pull handle from the outside wont open the door. Again, the inner pull trigger will open it ok. Seems the warmth seals the door shut or affects the outer door pull or the mechanism in some way or the seal itself????

Will try and move the door catch on the pillar to see if that helps?

Any idea's?
Ta.

Update on mine....

Took the door card off and generally sprayed lots of WD40 into and around the lock / lift mechanism, adjusted the door strike post and it all seems ok now, the door will now open if not on the first pull, then the second, so well chuffed with that!

an update on mine i took off the door card and sprayed loads of special lube stuff on the parts inside the door and on the catch now the door opens every time now :D

Hi,

"special lube stuff".....can you let us know what you used?

Or maybe it's a secret! Audi don't seem to know.....

Sorry for being not very descriptive lol i couldn't remember what it was called, here is a pic and no i didn't try KY for some reason :s :D

Its a very viscous liquid be careful when using it as it can only be removed with degreaser and when its dry its very very sticky.

clearlube.jpg

Just fixed exactly this problem on my 2001 A6 Allroad this weekend - it failed the MoT on a sticky door handle! Take door card off (easiest one I've ever has the pleasure of doing - two small screws at top and then lift up and off). I didn't bother to disconnect wiring, just tied card up to avoid straining the cables. Find the rod that comes down from the door handle to the lock. A small hand mirror to look into the depths of the door will help immensely. It is threaded at the end, but instead of trying the turn the plastic collar it fixes into, you will find that if you pull down on it (towards the bottom of the door) it will slide down. Then pull the threaded rod out of the groove and reposition - you will find that the rod moves down to open the lock so if the handle is not opening the door move the rod up in the groove. Push collar back up tight and you should find door handle works like it should! This is a very fiddly job and needs some patience, and skinny arms if possible, but well worth the effort, saving a £300 bill at a dealer!