Soggy Carpets

ajek

Reaction score
I've recently noticed alot of water on the passenger side footwell and under the seat around the vent outlet. It seems worse when driven in rain. Any suggestions on know faults, etc., would be welcome.

hello mate, not sure what car you have, but, i've just had major problems with my Passat getting soaked in near side (passenger side) footwells (front and rear)caused by a water leak at the pollen filter housing situated on te bulk head. It's a common fault where the rubber seal deteriorates, on the Passat which VW stealers are aware of and will fix under warranty. May be simillar on other cars, worth a try? Good luck and best regards

Paul

Check the screenwasher pipe at the bottom of the A piller on the left hand side. There is a joiner there on the pipe and has been known to become disconneted. Put a cable tie around the pipe and job done.
If left it will fill your conveniance module with water and you'll start having locking and alarm probs. Hope this helps

I know its a different car but had this problem with an imprezza and a mate also had it with a mondeo, took ages to work it out but heater matrix had gone causing the sodden carpets. Another symptom was that the heaters on occaision blew minor vapour within the air !! £100 fix on mondeo, £500 in scooby - hence a got an A6.

I've read a US Audi users site that listed blocked water relief pipes in the battery compartment as a cause of water leaks into the footwells.

Doug

dmob said:
I've read a US Audi users site that listed blocked water relief pipes in the battery compartment as a cause of water leaks into the footwells.

Doug

Have a look then!

Had it once happen on a 100 tdi-Well blocked and it poured in!!!

Had it on mine.

It was leave build up around the pollen filter, passenger side underneath the windscreen shield.

Water should go down the side through a drain hole. If it gets blocked with leaves, the water backs up and enters the pollen filter, throug you car and exits behind the passenger seat

Simon

I've recently had, and fixed, this problem.

Water was travelling down the windscreen and flowing UNDER the seal at the bottom. Fix was to push down the seal (plastic trim that meets the base of the windscreen where the wipers come through) all the way along. It works on suction and had come away somehow. It's now sealed and no more leaks.

Oh, and it's possible you'll get remote central locking and alarm problems so make sure you take the carpets up as much as poss (there'll be a LOT of water under the carpet where there's a computer card thing that will also need drying out). Also helps to remove glovebox to air that area more.

Fortunately my remote/alarm/locking is all now working correctly but it didn't work right for a few weeks before it sorted itself out. Proper drying helps (see above)