Urgent please!Oil filter location.

Carli

Reaction score
Any help ?
My car: 1999 A6 Avant Quattro-2.5 tdi (110 cv )
I was trying to change oil and filter, but underneath I found almos impossible to get to the oil filter without moving the steering pump ( or maybe is the AC compressor ).
I´ve got a new filter that the dealer says is the right to my car ( in the picture ), what do you think?.
I will apreciate any help.
I´m enclosing a couple of pics in this link:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30871922&l=f4b0275960&id=1089212405

Thanks in advance.

hi mate that picture you posted looks like a blank on the oil cooler the oil filter is on the top of the engine its in a black plastic case with a moulded nut on top the filter you have should be the cartridge type it fits inside this canister when you take the old filter out all will become apparent hope this helps

Thanks for your help.
"the oil filter is on the top of the engine". Do you mean that I´ll access the filter from above?
I´ll take off this moulded plastic cover and investigate.
Thanks again

Sorry but I have another question:
Because I couldn´t find the oil filter in that moment, I just put the new oil witout changing the filter.
If the filter is in the top part of the engine, can I change the filter without draining the new oil that is already in the engine ?
Thanks

hi mate i have never done it like that ie change filter with oil in the engine but seeing as its a canister in the upright possition i dont see why you could not change it with the oil in . unscrew the top of the canister have plenty of rags ready the oil should remain in it swop the filter but pay careful attension to how the old one is fitted and replace exactly the same way

Thanks, I´ve done it and like you said before, only with some drops of oil around.
Next time I will do it the right way: oil and filter together.
By the way between the plastic cup and the reservoir there was not O ring: the last person
doing the oil change, decided that it was not necessary (?!).
This is the main reason for me to do the oil change myself in the future ( apart the money )
Thanks again.

hi carl if i was you i would fit the missing o ring its there for a reason you can get one from audi for a few quid then you know its done properly

Hi yendall24, the o ring was coming with the new oil filter, together with the copper washer.
I´ve already fitted both of them.
Thanks for your comments.